Shelless egg

Sandra Verbreyt

Songster
Jul 12, 2017
Temse Belgium
Hello
A couple of days ago I found an egg in the garden laid by my Silkie Margo. However the egg was minus a shell just yolk and white but no sign of a shell. Can anybody explain to me what this means and is it something I should be concerned about? She seems to be fine in herself walking round eating and drinking although just after laying it she was very quiet. She has not laid anymore eggs since. Advice anybody ;)

Hello
A couple of days ago I found an egg in the garden laid by my Silkie Margo. However the egg was minus a shell just yolk and white but no sign of a shell. Can anybody explain to me what this means and is it something I should be concerned about? She seems to be fine in herself walking round eating and drinking although just after laying it she was very quiet. She has not laid anymore eggs since. Advice anybody ;)
Sometimes they lay shelless eggs. There is a variety of different reasons. Stress can be one, like a sudden change in weather or something new in the run. Personally I wouldn't worry too much if it has just been this one. Keep an eye on her. Make sure she has plenty of oystershell to pick at. You can also get a calcium additive for the water called zolcal d. If she continues to lay shell less eggs there may be a reproductive issue. But like I said if it's a one off I shouldn't worry too much.

need more info to help.
age?
What they are being fed including treats?

Sometimes things that can cause shelless eggs:
lack of calcium is the cause
parasite either external or internal
Nutritional deficiency
New layer
coming into or just finishing molt
stress
change

Hello
Did you see her lay it?
Usually no shell means they ate the shell or membrane.

Back
Top Bottom