Sheltie, Aussie, our border collie with chickens?

Little Farm Girl

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
We have about 200 chickens, and we are wanting a family & farm dog that will be good with the chickens. We are wanting to get either a sheltie, Aussie, or a border collie mix, which will be best with the chickens do you think? We do understand that they will all have a herding instinct.

I have a 1/2 border collie 1/2 german shepherd that is perfect with my free rangers. It took about 2 months of daily dedicated training (we got chickens when she was 6), but now they're all happy farm pals.

All of those options are amazing farm dogs that I'm sure can be trained to do well with chickens. It is about baseline-genetics in part, sure, but I would say it is mostly about the individual dog and A LOT of training.

Best of Luck! Pics of the puppy soon please :):love

Pup-date!!!

Meet Gunner, the newest addition to the farm. We got him about 4 weeks ago, and is perfect in every way...except he likes pooping inside on mats:bow. He is now 17 weeks old and is wonderful with the chickens, hasn’t chewed up anything he wasn’t supposed to, sleeps through the night wonderfully after the first 5 nights, that is. He is great at traveling with us, and is the best watch dog he can be, he literally gets the deepest German Shepherd kind of bark and won’t stop until he is MORE THEN SURE that we are ok with the “stranger” being here. He stays in our yard great too.

Now, for the fun part, y’all guess his breed! Hint: he is a cross of two breeds & he doesn’t shed.
883B4074-2E87-4591-8B44-1500615798DD.jpeg
D3284B3D-B416-4A91-BA1B-5D11C86FC008.jpeg

Pup-date!!!

Meet Gunner, the newest addition to the farm. We got him about 4 weeks ago, and is perfect in every way...except he likes pooping inside on mats:bow. He is now 17 weeks old and is wonderful with the chickens, hasn’t chewed up anything he wasn’t supposed to, sleeps through the night wonderfully after the first 5 nights, that is. He is great at traveling with us, and is the best watch dog he can be, he literally gets the deepest German Shepherd kind of bark and won’t stop until he is MORE THEN SURE that we are ok with the “stranger” being here. He stays in our yard great too.

Now, for the fun part, y’all guess his breed! Hint: he is a cross of two breeds & he doesn’t shed.View attachment 1907584View attachment 1907583
Congrats...What an adorable doodle..:hugs...:wee

Back
Top Bottom