She's Gone Ballistic!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wbruder17, Jun 27, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My Ancona pullet, aptly named Spook has gotten totally freaked out by something. She won't come near the coop and flies away screaming anytime we come near her. All the other chickens are in bed and she is still hiding out in the blackberry brambles. I do not want to leave her out overnight, but I can't catch her! She will get eaten by something for sure if I cant get her back inside!

What do I do???[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Can you lure her with treats? Ours had a coon scare awhile back and it took a couple hours to get them back into the coop.

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Is there any way you can corner her??? That's the only thing that works for me. [​IMG] I know it's not good for them, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    We tried to corner her and that only made it worse. I even tried to net her as my last resort, but now she is in thhe blackberry brambles somewhere and we can't even find her. She's mostly black with a little white and its getting dark. Plus the blackberries are pretty big and thick. I guess if she's going to spend the night outside, the brambles are the safest. But I don't like it. Still hoping she comes to her senses and comes back to roost, but she was pretty "spooked"

5. LadyAndHerPeeps

LadyAndHerPeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Camden County Georgia
    Maybe tempt her with treats and toss asheet over her to catch her? I dont really know as I am new to all this Myself [​IMG] I hope it all goes well !

6. lvchicken

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:I'm so sorry I made it worse! I was just trying to help. [​IMG]

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR

Oh, YOU didn't make it worse! Sorry to make you think that! We had done that already, is what I meant. Sorry!

8. lvchicken

Feb 1, 2011

Oh, YOU didn't make it worse! Sorry to make you think that! We had done that already, is what I meant. Sorry!

No you didn't make me think that. It's just that I interpreted the wrong way. No, I was not trying to blame you. Sorry I came across that way!

9. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    No worries! Good news tho! DH to the rescue! We located her and he crawled into the brambles and manuevered her out! She's pretty shaken up, but other than her nose being scratched a bit, she seems ok! Whew! That was scary!

10. poor baby. Wonder what spooked her so bad? Try mini marshmallows. Mine will absolutle forget anything in the world for one of thos suckers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by