She's killing them!!!!

pcomston

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
I have a German Shepard mix (female) that just turned a year old. In early summer of last year, she massacred part of my free range flock and we did everything we could to try to teach her not to kill the chickens. She went a long time without doing it until just a month or so ago when hens were turning up dead. At first I assumed it was a raccoon or some other wild hungry predator, until I caught her red handed playing with one that was still alive. Getting rid of her is really last resort, because she is the pet of my twin 6 year old daughters, so if anyone has any advice as to how to get her to stop, I'd really appreciate it.
BTW, she already knows she is not SUPPOSED to do it because she goes out of her way to avoid the chickens when I am anywhere around.

If it were me I'd keep her contained (either in the house or a kennel) whenever the chickens are free-ranging. Continue with her training but I would never ever trust her with them unsupervised.

She is young and this might be one case where I'd be tempted to try the method of tying a dead chicken to her and making her drag it around until she hates it thoroughly. Make sure there is an immediate cause/effect though. You would have to catch her in the act and do it immediately.

We have 4 dogs. 3 of the dogs are perfect with fowl, you could not ask for any better - they are left alone with the birds all the time (they are even great with our parrots).

BUT we do have one who is a killer - he will take down anything 250 pounds or less, by himself. Fowl does not stand a chance.

When the killer dog is out - HUMANS - adults are outside with the dog - NO execption (not to run in to go bathroom, not to grab the phone, not oh I need a drink, just to grab my sunglasses) - NEVER ALONE! Dog is out, birds are contained in their runs or houses.

When the birds are out, the dog is in the house. Dog is never outside if the birds are out (unless leashed).

We do not have kids, but kids are not considered enough of a pack leader to stop a chicken killing dog.

I would never do that. For all you know she would love having a chicken tied to her.

Either you free range the dog, or free range the chickens. Cant do both.

Last edited:
Sorry this is a tough one.

6 year olds are old enough to understand the situation and may be able to handle the loss of the dog.

Otherwise you need to fence your yard in a design so the dog can be out and the chickens can too. Expensive but if you want both the expense is necessary.

Our yard is chain linked into two parts. A small run area out the back door and a fenced in areas off of that where the chickens can range. Our neighbors have a dog and he would surely kill our chickens. The side with the neighbors is Stockade so the dog doesn't have a good view of the chickens. Of course we don't have dog either but if we did this set up would work.

Wish you the best in working out this problem.

Rancher

Just don't allow her unsupervised access to the chickens.
idunno.gif

Quote:
i agree either fence a dog run or pen the chickens and never take dog out without a leash it is not always possible to train out the chicken killer instinct so PREVENTION as opposed to cure if you really want to keep the dog

Have you tried those electric shock collars, I think I read on one of the forums that you can get it with a remote. If you didn't seem to be around and yet she got shocked for going after chickens, maybe this would put the fear of "Edison" in her.

Back
Top Bottom