She's killing them!!!!

Quote:
Not to hijack this thread, but I feel you are way off base. An untrained GSD is a handful, just as any other breed of dog that's untrained can be a handful (I'm thinking specifically of my SD's chihuahua at the moment). You've obviously had a bad experience with one.
These are trained GSDs:

4810_boys1271.jpg

Jax with one of our two cats:

4810_jaxkikilove.jpg

As I said in my previous post, our dogs are trained, but I don't leave them unattended with my chickens. My chickens just mean too much to me. I wouldn't leave that dagnabbit chihuahua alone with them either.
Again, sorry for the hi-jack, but blanket statements bother me, alot.
smile.png

Gotta say, and it sounds cruel, but smacking them with the dead chicken and tying it around their neck really DOES work. All the farmers I relate to do it and every one of our dogs have killed a total of one chicken each.

Now I have the opposite problem... my dog won't go in her kennel because the ducks take it and she's afraid of getting caught anywhere NEAR the ducks/chickens so she sometimes gets caught out sleeping in the rain.
roll.png
So now I gotta make it so my ducks don't get to my dog....
lol.png

Very few dogs are broke of chicken killing once it starts. I have tried about everything with a few dog over the years with the dogs going to a new home. I just made sure the people taking them didn't have birds. I bet the 6 year old girls would be up for it if you talked to them and got them a good LSG puppy like a Great Pyrenees and raise it with the birds.

Just a dog, being a dog. Even the most gentle breeds can be triggered to attack birds. In my avatar to the left you can see my 110 lb yellow lab. I trust him with my birds, he is well trained and is out while the birds free range to ward off predators. Even so, I understand something could suddenly induce him to take a duck or two. It's his breeding, it's what he does. The thing is, like a few have stated, you can't do both "with that particular dog." She's tasted the blood and now she will crave it. No easy answer. I'd pick split their time in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom