Shes not sweet anymore!

Chickens will peck if they see something shiny do you wear jewlery? Eyeballs are shiny to a chicken aswell.

Wao! I've never come across this type of a hen. Did she hatched some chicks on her own? Some mothers tries to protect its chicks so they go wild.

Wow seems like she got along with your dog‘s. She looks like an amazing girl, my guess she just snapped one day? It can happen

I agree with other posters here regarding the pecking order concept, mixed with shiney lips. But, I'd like to pose something else -- reddish/bare lips/skin. Chickens are born with a need to establish and/or learn (sometimes the hard way) their place in the pecking order. Like others said, and like you acknowledged, she probably saw herself as above you. When my girls peck me, I give them a light flick on the break and a harsh "No!" They have their internal pecking order established but know that I'm the boss (I don't have a rooster.) Also, shiney objects (e.g., glossy teeth, glistening lips, and/or white eye balls) are going to up their curiosity. Chickens peck at things about which they're curious. Again, it's an instinct that they're born with. Another thing to consider... chickens peck bare red flesh when it's exposed. They get these odd, cabalistic behaviors when they see red flesh (i.e., it triggers a behavior where they see a weakness, like in another chicken that's lost its feathers and has raw, red skin as a result) and attack that part of the chicken. If they draw blood, it's game on. They'll peck at the flesh even more. It's one of the reasons many byc'ers (not all agree on this though) will recommend the use of blu-kote on chicken wounds. It's an antiseptic and, as it dyes the chicken's skin blue, it curbs chickens' natural tendencies to peck red, exposed flesh. I use it, as it keeps my girls from going cannibalistic on each other. But, some recommend staying away from it, as it can make it hard for aviary vets and others to see anything other than blue dye when examining the bird for issues. And then, well, there are just some chickens that are sweet one day and ornery cusses the next. It's so hard to say what happened in your situation as each chicken and situation is different. It sounds like you made the right choice moving your girl outside though. With the other chickens in the hen house, she'll learn her place in the pecking order (if she hasn't already) pretty quickly. Good luck. :)
You're absolutely right. I wholeheartedly agree with all you've said. Now that she's been outside with the others, she's actually gotten much better. She still comes when I call her, she still wants me to pick her up so she can sit with me. I love her still. She is the most 'un'chicken I've ever raised. She doesn't move when I touch her while she's eating. She's not bothered by feet passing her. She comes to the door and yells to be let in for midday treats. Rotten little thing. I'm still careful with her, but she's still my girl.

Back
Top Bottom