Shes not sweet anymore!

Oh poor girl! My Mia seems completely aware. She runs to us to aggressively attack our feet. When we bend down to cuddle the others that are seeking attention, she's right there wanting us to pick her up. Which she allows but we set her on our legs and keep her away from our faces. As long as you don't try to touch her, she's happy. But hands make her flare her neck feathers and attack.

Well, I hate to say this, but there are only a few great options for your future:
1. Eat a nice dinner.
2. Find a place to rehome this hen.
3. Pay $100 every year in first aid supplies while the evil hen hurts you.
Well, she won't be dinner. I've hand raised every one I have. They're not here for eggs or meat. They're here because I love them all. I can tolerate her behavior. She's weird. But we have others that are weird too. We keep her away from our faces and tell her no when she attacks our hands. She does listen and knows the word no and what it means. Because she backs off immediately. I was hoping someone had an answer for her revenge type behavior. But I guess each of them are different with different thoughts, personalities and behaviors. I'll keep working with her and weirdness! But definitely no shoulders anymore.

Well, I hate to say this, but there are only a few great options for your future:
1. Eat a nice dinner.
2. Find a place to rehome this hen.
3. Pay $100 every year in first aid supplies while the evil hen hurts you.
or put her outside with the rest of the flock

she might be trying to put herself at the top of the pecking order

Wao! I've never come across this type of a hen. Did she hatched some chicks on her own? Some mothers tries to protect its chicks so they go wild.
She's not had babies. I can't allow any more to be added to the flick. I'm stretched a bit thin with what I have. I wouldn't have her except she was having seizures so I kept her to medicate her instead of sending her off to a new owner with the others.

I've got a bantam who's developed an irrational pecking problem although I don't know that my experience would help you solve your problem. You mentioned that your hen had seizures.
My Meghan has always had little seizures that are like petit mal. I think they've got worse since late summer and she's started to be less aware of others, as if there's some dementia. One day she couldn't work out how to get into the run (she was standing next to it).

Recently she's started pecking inappropriately. When they're settling together at night she'll start pecking like an automaton and will peck me if I put my arm there. I've also seen her do this when standing in the run, just pecking at anyone who walks past.
These aren't hard pecks like those you describe but they do upset the others, especially the two newcomers who have been there for two months now -sometimes she acts as if she can't remember seeing them before.

Is she the only bird that has lived in your house?
We've raised quite a few in the house. We currently have one now in the house. She was a rescue from an idiot. She's responded really well and has attached herself to my mom. My mom is stuck in a wheelchair so it works for Lily to have someone to lay with. I've raised roosters in the house too. All 4 turned out super friendly and sweet. All 4 are big cuddles. I've raised girls too and they're still sweet and beg to be held when we go to visit them outside. I'm just not sure what happened to Mia. Maybe her head isn't right from having wry neck/seizures. Who knows.

So I've raised a lot of babies in the house from eggs. My last hatch left me with one little girl. I kept her because she had a weird seizure thing going on. I medicated, did the vitamin c and all the other stuff that went along with it. Whew, no more seizures! But she grew up in the house and learned how to come, stay, ready, treat, here and all the other things my dogs know. But here's the thing....she was on my shoulder, per usual, and I was talking and she reached around and pecked my teeth. So I tapped her side and said no. I kept talking. She did it again harder and drew blood on my gums. I slapped her hard enough to knock her off. Now, I love this girl. She went everywhere with me. So I sat down, picked her up and she flared her neck feathers at me and lunged at my face and grabbed my lip and chin and bit me so hard she cut me. I went to grab her neck and again she bit my face. So she went into a dog kennel to get used to EVERYONE outside. And them her. I didn't plan on her living with the other girls but dam! So now she attacks hands, fingers, feet, shoes and tries to bite our faces while she's making a low crooning sound. What is her deal?
How old is that pullet/hen? Does it have enough meat to harvest? That would be my solution.

Back
Top Bottom