Shes not sweet anymore!

I know the picture ypure referring to. She climbed up there to nap. She stayed there for almost an hour sleeping. She mostly laid on me to nap. She was incredibly spoiled. She's been integrated into the flock now. We're super careful how close she gets to our faces. She's not allowed on our shoulders but our laps are fine as long as she behaves. I posted other pics for you.
She does look sweet.
I have a very sweet girl who is super friendly during the day. But at night when on the roost she turns into Satan’s offspring, will reach over or duck underneath another pullet to take a nip at whatever is within a 2 ft reach. She roosts over the nest boxes and on the end near the people door (I collect after dark due to work) so bending over I have to watch she doesnt get me in the head, and she gets my hand when I reach for the people door handle…I can’t win lol. 😑

She does look sweet.
I have a very sweet girl who is super friendly during the day. But at night when on the roost she turns into Satan’s offspring, will reach over or duck underneath another pullet to take a nip at whatever is within a 2 ft reach. She roosts over the nest boxes and on the end near the people door (I collect after dark due to work) so bending over I have to watch she doesnt get me in the head, and she gets my hand when I reach for the people door handle…I can’t win lol. 😑
Oh my! She does sound like Satan's offspring!

How old is that pullet/hen? Does it have enough meat to harvest? That would be my solution.
She's a bantam mix. I hatched her and raised her. None of mine are for the pot. I'm working with her. She's a smart girl. She knows the word no. She's already stopped pecking and attacking hands. So I consider that a lot of progress.

My silkies aren't at all aggressive, but one in particular will peck at my teeth if she is close enough. I think it is because they are shiny and a novelty -- after all chicken don't have teeth. 🤣

I know your hen's aggressive behavior extends beyond that. How long has it been since she was slapped away? I've heard that chickens have good memories. Maybe it will just take time?

This probably is irrelevant, but when I pick up one of my silkies, who tends to be nervous, I let her know I'm picking her up before I touch her and I slide one hand under her feet. That keeps her calmer than just picking up her. I've never grabbed a chicken by the neck. I don't know how they would respond.

Your hen sounds a bit vicious though. I'm sorry that happened and I'm glad you have healed. How is your hen now?

I had a chicken who did similar things. I put her in a pen with a bad rooster. That straightened her out!
I have two roosters and both are sweet. After her two weeks in the kennel for everyone to see her and she them, I released her. The rooster that's with the flock did lunge at her a lot, he's very protective but not aggressive. He's a Japanese bantam. But she's been qith the flock now for about a month and things have claimed down. However she's still aggressive!

I have two roosters and both are sweet. After her two weeks in the kennel for everyone to see her and she them, I released her. The rooster that's with the flock did lunge at her a lot, he's very protective but not aggressive. He's a Japanese bantam. But she's been qith the flock now for about a month and things have claimed down. However she's still aggressive!
Is 'she' laying eggs? It looks like 'she' is developing saddle feathers. The mantle feathers seem really pointy as well.

Being a Silkie cross and previous history sounds like wryneck, which Silkie roosters are more likely to develop.

Back
Top Bottom