Shetland geese

donkeydew2farms

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 12, 2014
ok any body no were I can get Shetland hatching eggs. I want to start breeding geese that are on the critical list. boy I wish I had bought some from Holderread before he stop breeding them. thanks.

Good luck! There are very few left in the US and fertility is poor. I’d recommend working with a different breed. I’ve been trying for a few years to get a gander for my goose without luck. Most of the Holderread flock went to 2 Canadianbreeders. No one that I know of got any goslings last year. Try looking at Romans. Those are also critical but you can find goslings. Metzer has them.

thanks guys I did check the breeder directory there is like 3 breeders in the states . it is such a shame. right now I have American buffs and Africans. brown. which are not in trouble . so I like to work with a breed that is in trouble . what about the cotton patch any one here have any.

thanks guys I did check the breeder directory there is like 3 breeders in the states . it is such a shame. right now I have American buffs and Africans. brown. which are not in trouble . so I like to work with a breed that is in trouble . what about the cotton patch any one here have any.

I see seven breeders in the US. I believe @DiYMama540 has a cotton patch gander. Good for you for preserving breeds not many people do that anymore.

I have a Shetland gander that's 6 or 7 now and still fertile. Unfortunately, no Shetland goose to pair him with, but he's producing fertile eggs with one of my Pilgrims.

One of the reasons fertility is poor in the breed is because of inbreeding--we need to look at doing an outcross, either to other Shetland gees if we can ever import form the UK again, or to a similar breed (which is why I'm doing the test cross with the Pilgrim) and then reselecting for Shetland traits. Remember that poultry are usually "standard bred" and not "pedigreed" so we're looking for birds that meet the standard....Which is why we have Lamona chickens again, even though we lost the breed a while ago (but that's another story).

Back
Top Bottom