Shhh- Top Secret!

An hour later- zipping! Then I left for class....

And BABY! Quick hatch- took about two hours to zip and push out- then climb over all her siblings-to-be! I have two more pips, as well!

A cute little Blue Americana!- And quite vocal- my little cheerleader for everyone else to hatch!

But for now- nap time! She lays on this egg, chirps, and the egg chirps back! Should be soon!

I'm planning on going on a hike for a few hours- when I come back, I should have more!

Awesome!
wee.gif

Okay- now a moment of panic- I just got back- hiked and volunteered at the state park all day- then had some car problems that require my parents to come up and get me tomorrow. That's not the major problem, though-
I have one chick and four pipped egg- two are the same from this morning, and then a couple more. One pipped egg apparently got rolled over onto it's pip, then the chick rolled it back over for me- its membrane around the pipped area is brown!! Is the baby shrink-wrapped?
What's going on with my humidity?? Would is be a good or bad idea to get a spray bottle with warm water and spray the inside real quick? If one egg is shrink-wrapped, maybe that's why the rest of the pipped eggs haven't zipped yet...
Okay- morning started out wonderful- baby chick, nice hike, lots of fun volunteering... then car issue, and chick issues....

I am counting down the hours and trying to keep the humidity up now. It is around 60% and temperatures are good. I am anticipating action any time after tomorrow evening. Saw some movement in the eggs yesterday. I am working on a brooding space today and getting that set up. I stopped at my feed store and got a small water dispenser and electrolytes. Ive got medicated chick feed to start with and will be housing in a large rubbermaid tote that I had my horse blankets and sheets stored in. Charley said he would loan it out to the new chicks since they were going to be coming to live with him in his barn.

Hope you have a safe trip home and a nice break from the semester Chic_girl
frow.gif

(Edited to add pics)
Good thinking! I asked my parents to set up a space- being experianced 'chicken-grandparents'. I'm sure they've made it suitable!

I woke to two more chickies! Another Blue Ameraucana, and a Black Ameraucana! They are rumbling around the limited space, and keep turning the other eggs over...

Hello, you two!

The black one is kinda shy- or maybe it doesn't like my flash...

There are 4 eggs with visible pips in them- one is the egg with a dried out membrane, and the chick has its beak poked out of the hole- so it's breathing! Another one has a pip that looks the same, with a beak out as well- except this chick's beak looks like it's going to be a cross-beak- I can already see it turning to the side, so she'll need special care in the future...

Two more eggs have pips, but keep getting rolled over by the hatched chicks, and I haven't seen much progress since- I hope those chickies are okay!

Hopefully your hatch will go much smoother than mine!

Last edited:
Oh Yay!! I am glad to hear some good news about the ones still trying to get past their starting pip. Have you read through the hatching assist thread to see when you can help the out of the shell?

Back
Top Bottom