Shipped call duck eggs, broody hen, detached air cells AHHH

Well they went under last night. The hateful old hen took a plug out if my hand before I was finished but at least she is protective. The look on her face below makes me feel confident she can get the job done ;) And may possibly give me nightmares...:oops:

This same hen has been sitting on infertile eggs for two months nearly. She belongs to my sister so I am only borrowing some space underneath her. We have tossed the eggs she sits on and she will only find more. I have never seen such a determined bird.
20170726_221246.jpg

20170726_221240.jpg

:lau

You ain't seen the broodys here! Lol... determined is a mild word for the girls around here... I had ones go off and hide, thought they were gonners til they show up with chicks or ducklings in tow!

I just hope she keeps it up. I have one of mine at home that hatched one chick, got up, left it for dead, and sat on TOP of my two bantam hens to "help" them hatch their clutches. I did find the chick before it was too late, I checked the other eggs that were gone cold and they were all fully developed :mad: I'm hoping between the 3 of them some of my bantam eggs will hatch. I candled and culled last night and they were doing better than expected:ya

Might want to make sure nobody else can get into her nest, block her off somehow... sometimes multiple broodys do well, but for important eggs I would be more careful...

Candled last night at Day 7, there were no signs of life :hit

At our local fair this week I did meet a guy that may be able to get me a pair of whites. He's going to travel to the farm that has them for some greys and if the whites are quality he will bring some back to me. They are not cheap though!

In other news, I entered my duck in the fair and she won grand champion. After further examination I am not so confident that SHE is not a HE.... She made some drake squeaks and I have not had a chance to really test it and see if she quacks. Looking back on fair pics it almost looks like a tail feather trying to curl. Which would explain why she has never laid the very first egg....:barnie

20368996_1574163192627519_8080451872445800189_o.jpg

if she isnt already quacking, she's a he
my girls started quacking and they still had a little down left

Back
Top Bottom