Shipped Egg Disaster????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I. Feel like this person had to know they were in the wrong.

I have never bought shipped eggs or any eggs for that matter. This is my first time ever trying to hatch eggs and she was aware of this because I told her in our correspondences. I also told her I was taking them to a friend who is very experienced at hatching eggs because I did not wan to attempt my first hatch with purchased eggs.

I think she assumed I was a newbie and wouldn't know any better, she was greedy or perhaps desperate to make money. Whatever the reason I am grateful to have the refund pending and will never purchase any eggs, chicks or chickens again without having someone I trust's recommendation. I have learned a very valuable lesson: just because its a beautiful website, they are the only ones to respond to email request for a certain breed and are prompt in email messages does not mean jack.

Those are nasty!

I have been getting muddy eggs because the hens are walking in mud, laying their eggs, then another hen gets into the box to lay and mudds them up with her feet. But, nothing like that!

And cracked eggs?

She should have just refunded your money without trying to justify herself. There is no excuse for that.

What kind of birds did you buy, Easter Eggers? You can get those here on the forum really easily, and hopefully they'll be clean and whole!

No it wasn't EEs but I think I have someone now to ask for a reference. They were "suppose" to be true Ameraucana but at this point I have my doubts.

We have also had very wet weather here and I have gotten some muddy eggs from mine but nothing that would compare to the trash she sent me. I still don't understand her and every time I think about her website and the beautiful pics on there, especially the pic of the Brinsea incubator filled with pristine blue eggs, I know she knew exactly what she was doing.
rant.gif

No it wasn't EEs but I think I have someone now to ask for a reference.  They were "suppose" to be true Ameraucana but at this point I have my doubts.

We have also had very wet weather here and I have gotten some muddy eggs from mine but nothing that would compare to the trash she sent me.  I still don't understand her and every time I think about her website and the beautiful pics on there, especially the pic of the Brinsea incubator filled with pristine blue eggs, I know she knew exactly what she was doing. :rant

Sorry for your trouble. When I saw your eggs at first I thought they were duck eggs!

I can understand how angry you are since you had wanted them so badly and had high eggsectations! I tend to cut people some slack (since I am not perfect and like it when other people cut me slack when I am imperfect) and look at things in perspective. Looks like you got 14 eggs from a 12 egg auction with 2 broken which is why breeders send extra. The PO can be very hard on eggs. It may have been a really muddy week and despite her best efforts this was the best she had so she had a choice of sending eggs or not. You would be unhappy either way and maybe she herself would have rather set the eggs dirty rather than not getting any at all. I think it's a leap to accuse her of sending EE instead of pure. You only would know that if you had incubated them. At least she refunded your money and besides disappointment you are no worse for wear.

I personally would have scraped off the crap and set them unless they had detached air cells to see what happens since I don't own a crystal ball. But that's just me. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time! Love true Ameraucanas, so pretty!

I totally agree with everything written here. Those eggs are just crazy dirty. Every book I've ever read says not to put dirty eggs in an incubator, because it will spred bacteria. And those aren't simply "dirty"; those eggs are a disaster. Don't let this experience deter you from buying hatching eggs again, though. I, too, had one bad experience where you just say, "What the heck?", but most of my experiences have been good and worth it. I've learned to not go based on a web site, but instead look at reviews and in the forums. I think some people spend too much time misrepresenting and outright lying on websites when they should be more focused on taking care of their flock. We expect the Post Office to be rough on the eggs, but it's pretty bad when someone ships out a defective product to begin with.

I can get with cutting some people some slack, but there is a point to draw the line... just clean out your darn coop every once in awhile...Heck I haven't actually cleaned mine in 5 months, but I add straw when it starts to look sparse, and I always freshen the nest boxes. It isn't hard. If you are going to use your hens to make money, you need to make sure they are well cared for. Our yard looks like it was graded by a drunk bulldozer driver, and we literally have inches of standing water all over our yard, and red clay to boot, but I have never gotten an egg that gross out of my coop...Never. I don't even sell any eggs...I just know I won't want to touch them if they are super gross...I even have a large rooster that sleeps in one favorite egg laying spot, and still my eggs never ever look like that.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never received eggs that nasty. Don't give up on shipped eggs. I have learned a few things-remember this is just MY experience. I only get eggs from people on this website with verifiable reviews. Prefer if they have been selling for awhile but its not a deal breaker. I also rarely get eggs from out of state. My experience is that the farther they ship the lower my hatch rate. I don't post much but I stalk and that kinda tells you who you are doing business with.

Sorry for your trouble. When I saw your eggs at first I thought they were duck eggs!

I can understand how angry you are since you had wanted them so badly and had high eggsectations! I tend to cut people some slack (since I am not perfect and like it when other people cut me slack when I am imperfect) and look at things in perspective. Looks like you got 14 eggs from a 12 egg auction with 2 broken which is why breeders send extra. The PO can be very hard on eggs. It may have been a really muddy week and despite her best efforts this was the best she had so she had a choice of sending eggs or not. You would be unhappy either way and maybe she herself would have rather set the eggs dirty rather than not getting any at all. I think it's a leap to accuse her of sending EE instead of pure. You only would know that if you had incubated them. At least she refunded your money and besides disappointment you are no worse for wear.

I personally would have scraped off the crap and set them unless they had detached air cells to see what happens since I don't own a crystal ball. But that's just me. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time! Love true Ameraucanas, so pretty!

Thank you. I always cut people slack and also hope for the same in return. This was not an auction format buy. I purchased these directly from a breeder. I agree the post office can be hard on anything but the 2 cracked eggs were not cracked from shipping (imo) they were cracked from a hen laying them on a hard surface and packed already broken. We have had some very wet weather where I am located for several months and I have never had anything remotely as dirty in my nest boxes. If this was the best she had to send then I would have gladly waited and not been the least bit angry about waiting but she didn't even ask. I am not accusing her of sending EE eggs but I do question what I received since it is obvious from what she sent and how she responded to my emails she did not see anything what so ever wrong with these eggs: in other words this is what she considers quality hatching eggs.

As for not being any worse for wear, no I guess technically I am not out in any cash just wasted time.

Again just my opinion but I wold never consider putting any egg as filthy as these in my incubator. I will not give on acquiring true Ameraucanas.

Cutting people slack is for moderately dirty eggs when the majority are clean... There is outright chicken poo on one of them THICK... look at the pic, bottom row, second over from left.

Yes, those cracks are from laying a egg on a hard surface. When a egg hits a egg, it look different, and when they crack in shipping it is again, totally different.

Fact is, if she is a "breeder" then she should know chickens and know hatching eggs... and if she is selling with a website and acting like a business rather than just a pet owner... there is no room to give her slack for a crapped up, nasty, and obviously sub-par product. Plain and simple.

I'm glad you got your refund (well, sort of... still not Wed.), but I think you can see by these comments that this is not at all typical of bought hatching eggs and you shouldn't give up on them. I have had a ton of fun over the years hatching bought eggs. Sometimes you get some dirty ones, yes, but nothing like these.

And no, there is no way that s___ should be put in a incubator, ESPECIALLY mixed in with your own home-collected eggs. Not safe or healthy at all.

Just the nerve of her trying to justify it blows me away. I mean, really!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom