Shipped Egg Disaster????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you had trouble with your eggs. No one should have sent those eggs. Cleaning them would have pushed the bacteria into the porous shell. I feel bad for the chickens. I do not clean my coop that often. I do keep my nest boxes clean. I rarely have a dirty egg. The eggs are food and should be treated with respect to cleanliness. It does not take that long to clean nest boxes. You can gather leaves all year long and keep them dry in old feed bags and use those in nest boxes if it is financial reasons to have the poor hens laying in poop.

You made the correct decision not to set the eggs. Bacteria is hard to remove completely, and with using humidity in incubators it gets into the motor and can effect future hatches. Mushy chick disease for one.

So all of those people who do not mind hatching/setting/selling dirty eggs..you might want to consider what you are doing to your incubators. A little dirt never hurt anyone..but those eggs were covered and I doubt it was plain ole dirt.

If they came from the Washington person who shipped me turkey eggs you wont I consider her the worst and if her eggs are that dirt all the time I would say her hens are in no better shape.

If they came from the Washington person who shipped me turkey eggs you wont I consider her the worst and if her eggs are that dirt all the time I would say her hens are in no better shape.

I am sorry. The eggs I purchased came from CA.

I just wanted to update this thread: I checked my Paypal account and I did receive my refund. I am very fortunate the seller refunded my money and she did it quickly.

I want to thank everyone for all the comments and support.

I am looking forward to one day acquiring either clean hatching eggs or quality started LF Ameraucanas.

Thanks again!

Good! I know it's hard when you are looking for purebreds. When you're ready, start with the ABC breeders, hopefully they'll be reliable. Also, look here - they're usually reviewed after they sell the eggs so you should be able to trust them.

Good! I know it's hard when you are looking for purebreds. When you're ready, start with the ABC breeders, hopefully they'll be reliable. Also, look here - they're usually reviewed after they sell the eggs so you should be able to trust them.

Thank you. I contacted at least 7 breeders through the ABC site and maybe 1 replied to my email. I can't remember if this person was on there or not. I will not give up but it may take a while.

The person i got my turkey eggs was from here and also on the ABC list
Those eggs where Filthy i could not even eat them and they where old .
she admitted she has no idea where her Turkeys Lay eggs .
and trust me even after she offered new eggs just for shipping i am leary Very Leary .

So i am only going to go by word of mouth .LittleChicklet if you find someone with good eggs you seen how bad mine where would you share with me the info please .

I am looking for Turkey eggs for my 4h group kids ive already been screwed out a lot of money so this Witch can hopefully better her turkeys lives

With it being early spring and the rains and such there is no way I can keep the eggs pristine. If you are dead set on hatching only perfectly pristine eggs you might want to ask before you purchase them, as most eggs I have received to hatch have been dirty, and a good percentage much dirtier than mine.

the above sentence is a direct lift from the second e-mail you received. If this person would put fresh straw or leaves or whatever in the nests with some degree of regularity, and if the eggs were gathered frequently during the day, those eggs would not have been nearly as dirty as they actually were. to essentially talk down to you about something that could have been avoided by a little common sense on the breeder's part doesn't say much for that person's integrity, but please don't let it dissuade you from trying again. there's many more good, conscientious breeders than the other kind on this site.

Thanks again for the replies. I will post if I find a source for quality LF Ameraucana eggs. I have not even started to look yet so it may very well be awhile before I update this thread.

Good luck to all who buy hatching eggs! I am sure there are many excellent breeders to purchase from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom