1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipped Egg HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jandsferguson, Sep 20, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Totally understand the stress!

I use the cardboard cartons, in strips of 2-3 cups for stability. First I cut the bottoms off for airflow, then notch the top so it cradles the egg at an angle. (One side usually has a notch where it was connected, so I match the notch on the other side.) I'll also try and get a pic of one, but I think I threw them away after the last hatch! Ruby probably has a whole stash - she's been doing a lot of hatches lately!

PS: If you haven't read the article linked in Ruby's signature above, you might want to. I don't agree with absolutely everything the author says, but it is a great resource for those of us who hatch shipped eggs.

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Here's the pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I love your idea!! I tried it and I can tilt as far as I want!! Thank you!! I may use them next time I incubate. I'm so excited to learn something new!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Lol, no baby bottles at my house, guess I have to stick with cartons!

5. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I like that they can be disinfected and reused. Don't know if you could hatch in them but I lay mine down for hatch anyway. I just love learning about something I, luckily, do have laying around the house that can be used for incubation, especially in a pinch!! I tried cutting down toilet paper roll but they are way to big for silkie eggs! :lau

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That is a neat idea for incubation. My worry would be if the bator got bumped though and dislodged the eggs. I wouldn't hatch out like that because once the egg is rocking/ zipping I'd be afraid of it tipping and I'd be worried the hatched chicks would topple the others like dominoes.

7. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I use strips of cartons, stuck together in 2s and 3s. Those go inside the Brinsea rails so the are really stable. If I'm watching, I lay the egg down when it's mostly zipped so it can kick out easier.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes, I meant the nipple rings. Sorry I didn't clarify what I was talking about.

9. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment

Lol, I knew what you meant, but didn't acknowledge it either! Sorry! I'll never use nipple rings so I skipped on past it.

Some people don't like the Brinsea rails, but I like how adjustable they are and can be adjusted to any size egg or carton.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Wouldn't know- only have a lowly LG....... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by