Shipped eggs developing in hot postal trucks?

Taylorhens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Aubrey, TX
Temperatures have been close to the mid-nineties here. I have two sets of shipped eggs coming in today/tomorrow. I'm wondering if it's been so hot that they could have started developing while riding around in a hot postal truck?

The reason for concern is the prevailing philosophy that you should let shipped eggs sit for 24 hours before putting in incubator. If they had started to develop, and then I store them in a cool place for 24 hours, could I be killing the embryos? Anyone know the science behind allowing shipped eggs to sit for 24 hours?

Should I still let them sit in a cool place, or just go ahead and put them in the bator?

Or as a compromise, could I put them in the bator, but leave the egg turner OFF for the first 24 hours?

About 18 months ago I was given some eggs- just picked up from around the yard when I bought some ducks from the farm. I got a shock when I candled at 4 days and saw growth way beyond what I expected. No broodies in the place - but the nesting areas were covered little tin shelters- the heat ( from Australian Summer ) alone was enough to get the eggs started. I had a very staggered hatch that time- with the difference from first to last out being 6 days.
Being in the truck - they may have some insulation from the heat with other packages around them- or being away from the walls- But you wont know what has really gone on. I would think about how long they may have been in transit, - how cool it was during the night- and the fact that it can take 24 hours for the core of the egg to reach 99.5 degrees. Often chickens will sit on and off for a few days before complete broodiness takes over and they sit tight. What ever you decide..Good luck with your hatching.

I don't let them sit if I get eggs during the summer or I open the box and the eggs are warm. They go straight in, but I leave off the turner for 2-3 days (which I do anyway with shipped eggs). Seems to work.
smile.png

i had this exact same happen... it was 95 degrees all week and my quail eggs got delivered. i had to put them in right away after they got here. i recieved 15 and 9 began developing

I think putting them straight in the bator but leaving the turner off for the first day sounds like a sensible compromise.
I think quite a few people do this anyway if they have eggs with detached aircells...

Back
Top Bottom