shipped eggs hatch rate?

OldMcDnld

Chirping
Dec 27, 2015
Southern CA
I have two American Game hens sitting on 13 eggs total. It will be their first hatch and the eggs are all different breeds. I had these eggs two day shipped from pretty far away. What kind of hatch rate should I be expecting?

Depends on how they were handled during shipping but games are very good mothers, so I would imagine it will still be better than an incubator hatch. I'm thinking like 75%+ with no other issues. But just a guess

50% on shipped eggs is considered good. With that being said, a lot does have to do with handling during shipping. I've seen shipped eggs have 100% hatch rate and I've seen big fat 0% percent. If you candle and get a look at the air cells before setting, it'll usually give you a better idea as to what to expect. A lot of detatched air cells and you can typically count on a lower hatch rate. The one nice thing about incubating shipped versus broody incubation shipped is you have the ability to incubate upright and control over turning in the incubator to theoretically improve air cells.

Good luck with the hatch!

Today is day ten. I have not candled at all but I did settle the eggs for 6 hours. I wanted to get them under the hens pretty quickly to keep them as fresh as possible. Candling now sounds like an ordeal due to how ridiculously protective these hens are of their clutches.
D.gif

Today is day ten. I have not candled at all but I did settle the eggs for 6 hours. I wanted to get them under the hens pretty quickly to keep them as fresh as possible. Candling now sounds like an ordeal due to how ridiculously protective these hens are of their clutches.
D.gif
LOL I know how that can be. I have one Spitz that when she goes broody all you have to do is look at her and she screams like someone is chopping her head off...lol

Last edited:
So without starting a Ford vs Chevy debate, I was wondering if medicated starter feed is necessary. These two hens (Bonnie and Phoebe) are the only ones so the chicks will be raised in the coop.

So without starting a Ford vs Chevy debate, I was wondering if medicated starter feed is necessary. These two hens (Bonnie and Phoebe) are the only ones so the chicks will be raised in the coop. 

That's your choice. I never ever use medicated feed. Waste of money in my opinion.

Some say ya, some say no. The chicks I incubate and brood inside I buy one bag of the medicated to start them off and when it's gone, they go to regular starter crumbles. The broody chicks I (my hens...lol) hatched out last fall started out on all flock crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom