shipped eggs HELP!-sloshy and rotten when candled?

BirdCrazyLady

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
McAllen
Hi all!
I just recieved some shipped eggs. They shipped monday, and I got them thursday. When I candles them, A few look sloshy, and dark, kinda rotten ( like an infertile or early dead egg that gets left in the incubator.) is this normal from shipping, or was the egg shipped old. They almost all look porous looking shells too......not like my banties eggs when I incubate them.... they look smooth. One also looks like it has vessles already. But even in hot weather shipping they wouldn't show up in 3 days, would they? All input /thoughts appreciated! Experiences please! I just want to know the usual before I talk to the shipper. Is this all usual shipping behavior?

(this is my first batch of shipped eggs!)

The sloshing is probably due to the air cells bursting from rough handling when shipping. The other stuff however is not have you cracked one open for a better look?
I would open one then contact the seller sounds like they could be old eggs.

Moving and detatched air cells are normal in shipped eggs. They can still hatch successfully.

Sloshy? Not sure about that.

Veins? Sounds like a previously incubated (or sat on egg) that was collected and shipped. Weird. I Mean I GUESS that it could have developed while shipping but the chances of it being perfect enough would I think be kinda slim. Whats your temp locally? Did they ship from far away?

They shipped from Pennsylvania to Texas. We have been having really hot weather here, but we had a "cool" front this week, so they should not have hit any weather too hot. It was fast shipping too. From mon-thur morning is not bad. My eggs usually don't look like they have veins till at least 4 or 5 days, when I incubate here though. Let me go get a pic for you guys... so if the air pocket bursts, they can still hatch????

Quote:
I personally have never had a burst one hatch and I've hatched a lot of shipped eggs, however I have seen someone on here have luck with one.
If the breeder had a lot of birds or waited a few days to collect eggs they could have been incubated by one of the hens which doesn't show signs of a good seller to me.
hmm.png

I tried incubating some welsummers that came from Jamestown PA to South Central Texas. They came sloshy stinking and very rotten. One by one they were removed quickly!

Quote:

106649_img_2205.jpg

healthy egg again
106649_img_2203.jpg

sloshy egg
106649_img_2202.jpg

egg that looks developed(not the veiny one though) the black is not a dirty egg its the insides
106649_img_2201.jpg

sloshy- rotten one

Back
Top Bottom