Shipped eggs in a Brinsea mini eco?

I like the cartons for hatching but that's just my personal choice some don't like it and if you have a wrong end pipper it can be hard to spot. I would suggest though if you do hatch in cartons that you don't do it with individual cups. Once the first chick has hatched it will knock the individual ones over. I use a whole six cut down or at least two still connected. That way they are more stable.

Good luck with your eggs :thumbsup

I like the cartons for hatching but that's just my personal choice some don't like it and if you have a wrong end pipper it can be hard to spot. I would suggest though if you do hatch in cartons that you don't do it with individual cups. Once the first chick has hatched it will knock the individual ones over. I use a whole six cut down or at least two still connected. That way they are more stable.

Good luck with your eggs
thumbsup.gif
I was thinking along those lines. My thought was that if they started hatching in the individual cups that they would tip themselves over when they started to zip. I wasn't sure if more than one cup would fit in them together. That's a good thing to know for the Brinsea users with this model that are doing shipped eggs!

Great thread for this model. I'm using this incubator and setting eggs this week. Looking for ways to improve. OP, did you leave the eggs in the cartons all the way to lockdown? Do you leave them in for hatch too? How was your outcome, I'm working with shipped eggs too. Thanks!

I had the eggs upright in cartons until lockdown, then I took them out at lock down and laid them on their sides. All of them hatched! :) I have a new batch in the incubator as we speak on day 3, going to do the same thing again. :) Good luck with your eggs!

I had the eggs upright in cartons until lockdown, then I took them out at lock down and laid them on their sides. All of them hatched! :) I have a new batch in the incubator as we speak on day 3, going to do the same thing again. :) Good luck with your eggs!
Thanks for responding! Last question...I've been reading a lot of articles that recommend not turning for the first 5-7 days, at all! How long to you wait to start turning?

I left them out on the counter to rest for about 24 hours, then put them in the incubator. I didn't turn at all for the first 3 days. Then I turned them 3 times a day after that (or tilted them side to side in their cups). :)

Op, I'm on day 6 of my new batch with the shipped eggs. I left them upright in individual cartons. I didn't touch them for 5 days! 12/15 are developing nicely!! One had a crack, I put wax on it but it got the red ring. So I'm looking at 12/14! I'm nervous about just tilting them. But I guess that works good for you, huh? Do you just tilt an odd number of times a day? And how exaggerated is your tilt? Like a 45 degree tilt? Sorry, I just really want these guys to hatch! How did your last batch go?

I tilt them pretty far in their cup, as exaggerated a tilt I can do without them falling out. :) I tilt all one way when I get up in the morning, tilt opposite way when I get home from work, and once more before bed. I am on day 13 and I have 7 growing babies still going strong!

Last edited:
I tilt them pretty far in their cup, as exaggerated a tilt I can do without them falling out. :) I tilt all one way when I get up in the morning, tilt opposite way when I get home from work, and once more before bed. I am on day 13 and I have 7 growing babies still going strong!
Thank you for replying. After I did my 7 day candling, I saw that all the air cells looked rock solid and round. So I decided to lay them down and gently turn them using the "x" & "o" method. I'm really trying to retrain myself from candling a lot and just let them be. Good luck on your hatch! I love the Brinsea mini!

Thank you for replying. After I did my 7 day candling, I saw that all the air cells looked rock solid and round. So I decided to lay them down and gently turn them using the "x" & "o" method. I'm really trying to retrain myself from candling a lot and just let them be. Good luck on your hatch! I love the Brinsea mini!

Did you have success laying them down once the cells stabalized? About to set some shipped eggs - curiosity...

Back
Top Bottom