Shipped eggs stink!

Quote:
If you just got them today, they shouldn't have started to develop! Let them set out on a counter or other place where they can get some fresh air and the temperature can stabilize. Put them in the incubator tomorrow and give them a chance.

Jim

They all smell, not just a little really bad like mold, I really can't even stand to smell them anymore.
smile.png
It is one air bubble that moves when I move the egg.

When some eggs in my incubator were stinking, I just picked up each individual egg and sniffed it. My husband laughed at me, but when I sniffed the bad one I knew it! After I tossed that one and cleaned the incubator out, the others have done well. In fact, some of mine are in the process of hatching right now.

Could it be that they smell because they are dirty? I also got some from an auction that smelled because they had a lot of poop on them. I usually don't wash my eggs, but those had to be washed before I would put them in with my other eggs. I just rinsed them in clean lukewarm water.

Really..I wouldn't set them in an incubator until you've let them rest on your counter overnight at the very least.

You won't start seeing any veins until at the very earliest 5 days....could be later, depending on the color of the shell.

sounds like they have been stored in an old musty basement too long, you need to let the byc member know. They are probably accustomed to the smell. It dont sound good for them either way, they are probably old eggs and sounds like the air cell is ruptured.

I will try and wipe them off and see if the smell goes away. This is so frustrating. I just wanted some good eggs and I have yet to get any except for my own, which all my hens are broody!
hit.gif
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom