Shipped quail eggs

I usually let mine sit for at least 24 hours, to make sure they have plenty of time to settle. Shipping can loosen the air cells, but letting them rest can often let the air cells reattach.

If they are room temp or warmer I put them in the bator but not on the turner. I see no point letting them rest at room temp when I can just stick them in. The next day I put them on the turner. No one has yet proved to me there is really a point to letting eggs sit around when they are already at least as warm as the room they are sitting in. Cold eggs shipped near the end or beginning of the year should of course be brought up to temp slowly and not thrown into a 100 degree incubator right away.

LOL!

Cold eggs shipped near the end or beginning of the year should of course be brought up to temp slowly and not thrown into a 100 degree incubator right away.

This is why most people rest shipped eggs whether it is the hot or cold season.
That and because their mother told them to.

Akane, You are probably the kid that ate some food and just jumped into the swimming pool even though your mother told you to wait 30 min...
big_smile.png

I wait/rest 10-24 hours.​

Why rest hot eggs? All you are doing is getting them up near incubator temp, cooling them back down to room temp, and bringing them back up to incubator temp again. That's completely counter productive and probably kills more eggs than anything. Cool eggs would be the only reason to let them sit. Same as bringing eggs in from outside in cool weather or incubating refrigerator eggs. If you took eggs from the coop in 90F you wouldn't let them sit would you? They are already half way there to the temp you want.

Incidently when it came to new things I was a very cautious kid who sat around asking why until I knew all the risks and reasons. If no one could prove a true risk existed or I found it an acceptable risk there wasn't really anything I wouldn't do. Everything I did was logical and I don't follow someone's word just because they say it. Give me a good logical reason or I'm not listening.

Last edited:
Part of the reason shipped eggs need to sit is the chalaza needs to settle back. It is a spring like structure that gets pulled and tugged around. If this doesn't have a chance to settle before going into the incubator it can dislodge from the yolk and the egg will die as the yolk will float away from the embryo and it will starve.

If the eggs arrive as hot as the incubator the embryo has already begun it's development and has been subject to many temp changes and you may already have an issue. The embryos can live at 70 degrees for a while slowly developing without dying.

Yes main reason to rest eggs ,is so the air cell return to the large end. So letting them set will help if store large end up. Now you could place them in a incubator large end up, just dont turn the turner on the first day.....

If you ever seen a chick trying to zip around the small end, you will understand Why eggs need store large end up.

Yes I know in nature they are not, but the shape of the egg do make them lay small end DOWN. Keeping the air cell on the large END.

So guess should say store small end down. Reason I ship my eggs small end down.......

But why do we leave them out of the incubator while they rest? Why wait another day? Since eggs are time sensitive you don't gain anything by not incubating them for another day and like I said what do you gain by them arriving warmer than your 70F house and then letting them cool before heating them up? You can unplug your turner or leave them in cartons so they sit upright in the incubator. Why don't we just say do not turn them for the first day instead of leave them sit around in the room for the first day?

Back
Top Bottom