Shipped VS homegrown incubation humidity.

SailingAgape

Songster
May 25, 2020
PNW (Outside of the CHAZ)
I was just curious. I'm picking up a Brinsea incubator tomorrow cause my DIY incubator has gone on the chopping block as the weak link in my poor hatch rates (second only to myself of course). My question now is, Has anybody experienced a humidity levels that favored shipped vs homegrown eggs? The bulk of the internet says 40%+ for incubation, but I am hearing from a few folks (You know who you are), who I consider quite successful hatchers, who say that around 30% is the way to go...

Is there any possibility that the homegrown eggs do not require as much humidity the first 15 days?

I have met a couple folks on here that I'm pretty sure can swear by their answer, But I figured the question may help somebody else struggling.

Like I said...you know who you are...

Part of why I asked is my final batch of eggs that don't say Myshire on top of the box showed up today.

I've been talking with the shipper for about 10 days because my order got moved up but I still had another week for my incubator to still be in heat.

Again I received a large batch (50+ eggs) and again I immediately tossed 15 eggs due to damage. But I noticed a few eggs looked dehydrated. That may be due to there being a hole in the shell so I could see the membrane shriveled. But then I suppose that could also be because an absence of shell allowed the membrane to vent directly to atmosphere...

Like I said...you know who you are...

Part of why I asked is my final batch of eggs that don't say Myshire on top of the box showed up today.

I've been talking with the shipper for about 10 days because my order got moved up but I still had another week for my incubator to still be in heat.

Again I received a large batch (50+ eggs) and again I immediately tossed 15 eggs due to damage. But I noticed a few eggs looked dehydrated. That may be due to there being a hole in the shell so I could see the membrane shriveled. But then I suppose that could also be because an absence of shell allowed the membrane to vent directly to atmosphere...
Could they have sent you some old eggs?

Could they have sent you some old eggs?
I suppose they could have done whatever they wanted. But hopefully not since they messaged back and said they would hold filling my order one week. I emailed today describing how the post office continues to not share our passion for quail and asking if they had an exact egg laid date so I could let them rest as long as possible.

Be careful.
People lie.

I would not let the rest at all if I were you.
Uggggh. You're usually right too.

I'll get out of bed, do a quick candle on the eggs on day 20 and toss em if not movement. (Single chick hatched Tuesday)

Then I'll place the eggs from today overnight and move em to Brinsea tomorrow when I'm able to pick it up.

Back
Top Bottom