Shipping Chickens?

@diamondsilkies I just had my NPIP testing done last night actually. I have not shipped birds or eggs as I am still building my flock but everywhere I have had live birds or eggs shipped from has been NPIP. It was $40 dollars and the vet over our area came out after I was off work and since I have less than 30 birds we tested everyone over 4 months old. I got my certification because I travel to shows and I am also working toward raising exhibition quality birds and will eventually be selling them out of state. It also keeps me from having to test my birds for every single show we attend, which was especially nice for my ducks since the P/T test for them is done rectally :oops:

No, you do not need a health certification or NPIP or anything for eggs. just ship them anywhere you want to.
Best,
Karen
You cannot legally ship hatching eggs to any states without the proper certifications which in most cases means NPIP certification and/or Veterinarian Certificate of Health of the flock.

All states have their own import rules and all states consider hatching eggs to be live poultry and are included in their poultry import rules.

Some states require both NPIP certification along with the Veterinarian Certificate of Health and an Import Permit. Most states are satisfied with NPIP Certification accompanied by the proper paperwork. Only a couple of states do not require NPIP but do require the Certificate of Health.

With the increasing cases of Avian Influenza, many states are now requiring that poultry be tested for Avian Influenza also since it is not an NPIP requirement.

The post office is not the agency that is responsible to make sure you are adhering to not only your state laws but also the destination state's law when shipping poultry or hatching eggs which is why many people have been getting away with illegally shipping these items.

Because these violations involve Interstate Commerce, when you do get caught, you will end up in Federal Court.

This link shows what states require for certification http://poultryimprovement.org/documents/stateImportationRequirements.pdf

These are the contacts for each state, every state is different. It was definitely worth it for me in TN
http://poultryimprovement.org/documents/OfficialStateAgencies-9-14-2017.pdf
As a resident of Wyoming I can state for a fact that the information in your first link is not entirely accurate. It lists Wyoming as not requiring a VS form 9-3 and that is not true as the form is required. I believe that it is safe to assume that all states require a VS form 9-3 if the shipper is not a recognized hatchery.

To the best of my knowledge all states accept shipments from recognized hatcheries as long as the hatchery includes their NPIP number on the shipping label.

I used to have a fairly complete listing of the regulations for the individual states but the change in how the Internet works has caused those links to no longer work. Not all states have updated their information so it is now difficult to find the necessary information without actually calling the department in charge in each state.

At least your links are a good starting point.

As a resident of Wyoming I can state for a fact that the information in your first link is not entirely accurate. It lists Wyoming as not requiring a VS form 9-3 and that is not true as the form is required. I believe that it is safe to assume that all states require a VS form 9-3 if the shipper is not a recognized hatchery.

To the best of my knowledge all states accept shipments from recognized hatcheries as long as the hatchery includes their NPIP number on the shipping label.

I used to have a fairly complete listing of the regulations for the individual states but the change in how the Internet works has caused those links to no longer work. Not all states have updated their information so it is now difficult to find the necessary information without actually calling the department in charge in each state.

At least your links are a good starting point.
I personally don't know any of the regulations per state. If I am having a bird or eggs shipped to me it is from a certified flock. I buy most of my chickens at shows I travel to and most everyone there is certified. I am a few years out from shipping birds but when that time comes I want to have all the necessary means to do so, hopefully they can update their info. It seems that they only publish the info given to them by the state officials though since it was updated just a few months ago. I am sure that isn't a really high priority in the state governments though:rolleyes:

OK, I think for now I'll stick with shipping within my state....and then maybe branch out to states that only require the vet certification. NPIP sounds complicated, although I can definitely see why you would want to do it. Thanks for all the feedback!

@diamondsilkies I just had my NPIP testing done last night actually. I have not shipped birds or eggs as I am still building my flock but everywhere I have had live birds or eggs shipped from has been NPIP. It was $40 dollars and the vet over our area came out after I was off work and since I have less than 30 birds we tested everyone over 4 months old. I got my certification because I travel to shows and I am also working toward raising exhibition quality birds and will eventually be selling them out of state. It also keeps me from having to test my birds for every single show we attend, which was especially nice for my ducks since the P/T test for them is done rectally :oops:

Hey! How often does the NPIP have to be retested/renewed? Is it annually?

Back
Top Bottom