shipping chicks

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
I am new to shipping chicks and I am still waiting to ship the first batch. Understanding the rules, has anyone ever shipped chicks that were not within 24 hours old Priority mail and not the express? I am not talking about 2 month old chicks but maybe chicks that are within 1 week old? Just curious

Tks

I can tell you I have received chicks that were a week old and they were perfect...all 25 of them! The seller used grow gel and that seemed to do the trick! Sure hope you can send them....

Express has a next day delivery or sometimes a 2-day delivery. Priority from a private seller normally takes 3 days or longer. Since they are over a few days old they will run the risk of being weak or dead upon arrival if they are sent via Priority.

Yes, but it is preferred if the person sending the birds is NPIP certified. Some states require that the shipper (seller) be NPIP. You can probably look up that information on the USDA website. Express is more expensive, but it goes by weight. For chicks, it is not that much more than Priority. You can get a comparison of prices by going to www.usps.com, typing in your zipcode and the seller/buyer zipcode, weight, and shipping method and get a quote. Generally, the further they have to go and the more they weight the more it costs.

The reason that chicks are shipped immediately after hatch is because the yolk sac is still attached and can feed them for up to 72 hours. That being said, if you ship chicks that are older than that you will need to have a water source in the box and possibly heat source. Watermelon, grapes and apples are all good water sources. They make heat packs if you are in a climate that is already cold. Here heat would not be an issue
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom