Shipping egg regulations and laws?

Sep 13, 2021
Central Arkansas
I want to ship a dozen hatching hatching eggs to a member here on BYC. Do I have to be certified? I was watching a video on how to ship eggs and she said she needed some type of certification to ship. Do I have to have this to ship a dozen hatching eggs to someone?

It is my understanding that if you ship without NPIP cert, you run the risk of the receiving state throwing out the eggs, that’s it. From what I’ve read there has never been any kind of penalty exercised, but technically I think you could be fined depending on the state. If you were to mail someone eggs as a birthday gift for example, a one time thing, I would let them know the risks of it getting discarded upon entry into the state, and then ship without labeling it as eggs and take your chances with X-ray.

I did receive eggs from an NPIP shipper, and they were only labeled as fragile and nothing else noted on the box, and they hatched just fine. I also have a friend who received unlabeled hatching eggs as a one off birthday gift, and they were fine too.

I looked it up and from what I can tell if you have less than 200 hens, then you can ship without a certificate in AR. The eggs must be washed and marked ungraded.
Also if you are not npip certified you can get into trouble. Certain states require more tests on top of npip cert. If you plan to ship the eggs without your proper paper work it can get sketchy. Take your own risk.

You have to be NPIP certified to ship eggs outside your own state, generally speaking.
Certain states, like Hawaii, have different rules on top of that to have eggs shipped in. Pretty sure you do not need to be NPIP certified if you are shipping within your own state.🙂

Back
Top Bottom