shipping hatching eggs???

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
I have never seen a listing here or on eBay, or anywhere else I've looked, with all of this info about each state, what's it all about? Below is a quote from this listing .
Per the list that I have from my NPIP representative, the following states can bid, as they don't require a special permit beyond just the vs-9-3 form:

Alabama, California, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, and Wyoming. (Oh, and also Missouri since I live in Missouri and don't need permission to ship within my own state).

I have requested a permit from Minnesota but don't have it yet- have to have it so I can send my second tester her eggs. Next week I'll be pestering Florida and South Carolina for their permit applications.

Is this info. that every person shipping fertile eggs is supposed to have or is it based on the state the shipper lives in or do you have to contact all 50 states and meet their requirements? Goodness
ep.gif

Quote:
Is this info. that every person shipping fertile eggs is supposed to have or is it based on the state the shipper lives in or do you have to contact all 50 states and meet their requirements? Goodness
ep.gif

There are rules and regs for every state to import and export and they vary from one to the next.

Not just technically.... If you want to maintain your NPIP status and hatchery permit, you have to follow their rules. Even if you aren't NPIP, you still have to follow each state's laws from their Board of Animal Health for importing/exporting. The rules are different for each state. Some require just NPIP paperwork, some require additional testing for AI and/or MS/MG, some want a CVI, and some require an import permit too. Here is a list of what each state requires: http://www.bah.state.mn.us/animals/poultry/exports.html If they catch you sending/transporting across state lines without paperwork, they will usually give you a warning at first. Could possibly hold the birds/eggs in quarantine at your own cost until tested. You could also possibly face stiff fines from the state too.

This may apply to out of the country eggs.

I've mailed eggs to a friend in VA and didn't have a permit and I got eggs from a friend in GA and there was no mention of a permit.

So this may just be from out of the country.

I just took eggs to AL and brought eggs back with me. I went through the TSA and had them checked and scanned and there was no question about a permit.

Rancher

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that great resource! In browsing through it, I never see eggs listed. Are fertile eggs considered legally to be poultry?
I don't sell hatching eggs, I buy them. All of that additional info. on that listing just made me curious. I've never seen any info. about all of that anywhere before. I see a lot of people listing eggs say they are NPIP and recently I've seen several potential bidders ask if the seller is NPIP. Which confuses me since I did not think that Pollorum or Typhoid passed through eggs. And as far as I know, and I could be completely wrong, most states NPIP program does not test for MS or MG, which can pass via eggs. So I'm not sure why buyers are asking about NPIP, unless the buyer is trying to be within their state guidlines, but I'm guessing that most folks are like me and had no idea these regulations even existed. Or they don't consider eggs to be poultry.

Quote:
what you just described happen constantly here without checkpoints/ ( chicken cops )
smile.png
on the state lines it seems impossible to enforce
smile.png

The USPS and airports are not the ones in charge of enforcing it. That's not their job.. They will get notices that pop up on their computers saying that certain states are blocking shipments though. Its the BAH that questions the paperwork when the NPIP forms are sent in.

I have a friend that does the blood testing for one of the major exotic sales up here. Its fairly close to state lines, so yes all those documents have to be in place for out of state birds to be sold there. Same thing goes for any critters going out of there that might possibly cross state lines.

I helped the show secretary for one of our major poultry shows last fall. The BAH was on our butts hardcore about any out of state birds having proper paperwork. If we didn't comply, our show was going to be shut down... The BAH did show up in suit and tie just before judging started too to check all paperwork.

I know from personal experience that I tried shipping chicks to Hawaii last year. I had to fill out a 10 page questionaire for an import permit. They are majorly concerned with us affecting their natural populations, disease threat, etc. I know I also can't ship to Virginia. The post office blocks shipments if you don't have all the proper paperwork. I am NPIP but for PT only. I am not forking out for AI and MS/MG testing too. Getting a buyer to pay for a CVI (cert. of vet inspection) is also very spendy. So I just refuse to ship there now... I've heard that CA has been blocking shipments lately. Someone on another thread from WA just got a letter about not complying with all the avian influenza testing before receiving birds.

Back
Top Bottom