Shipping older birds?

amcstay

Songster
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
Austin, Texas
I didn't know where to post this and I thought someone here might have the answer....

I know you can ship chicks, but can you ship via USPS older birds like pulets or layers? How would they survive - I assume it would have to be via Express mail.
Thanks.

Yes it would porbably need to be by express mail. You can put a piece of fruit in there, I believe pears is a common one, to give them something to munch on, and help with hydration.

Do a search this topic has been around a lot lately. There was a thread that had links to the boxes and the directions for how to ship. I think it may have been to the USPS themselves but cannot remember.

You ship USPS the fastest way possible. There are special boxes, and procedures. (You do put juicy fruit in the box) Not all post offices will be drop offs, sometimes you need to go to a more major one, this reduces shipping time. Also pack them up fully fed and watered and get them there just before they will ship out, mine were dropped off late in the day, to ship out that night.

I got my birds after a day and a half trip. They were fine, although they needed a little tender recuperation time in my warm house (quiet cage, no other animals, food and water). A couple of hours later they were their perky happy little selves and have been fine since. The experience didn't hurt them a bit.

I just got an adult gander from Holderreads this last Tuesday. It was Oregon to Maine and he came here in great shape even though it was 48, not 24 hours as promised. It was $80.00-not cheap!

Back
Top Bottom