shipping priority flat-rate vs. by weight? Any preferrences?

peachychick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Heart of Dixie
we are so excited to FINALLY have some of our beautiful marans eggs available for shipping! I've posted some adds on Craigslist and need help on how to figure shipping.
Would you all say it is best to go with the flat-rate, priority box for ~$15? I called our local P.O. and the mail-lady said that priority goes by air, which I would think would be better b/c of less vibration. Then again, once I flew and the turbulence was pretty scary up there!
But then she turned right around and said that you could ask for 2-3 priority delivery on a weighed package and it could arrive in the same amount of time and cost less to ship. And if you lived relatively close together w/i 3-4hrs drive, would they fly them or just stick them on a truck. Maybe it depends how far from a major city the recipient is?
Too, I know we will still have to come up with some packaging materials (bubble wrap, foam, etc.) to cushion the more expensive method and that'll end up coming out of our pockets.
We are not trying to make any money on shipping. Actually, I want to save the customer as much as I can. It's not worth a higher percentage of loss over a couple/3 bucks, imho. But, I think at a certain point it begins to look like your price is excessive if it's much over $12-13, unless of course you are using the fancy foam If there is in face any difference in how the package is transported.
Have any of you that ship regularly noticed a difference one way or the other with regard to hatch rate and customer feedback on shipping costs?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated
Kelli

ALL priority and first class mail is handled the same by the post office. There is no difference between FLAT RATE & regular prioirity, except the supplied box you must use for a FLAT RATE. You can use any of the other boxes or your own for regular PRIORITY.

I ship everything priority.
The USPS will deliver free priority shipping materials right to my door. I live out of town, so this is perfect for me.
I usually use the square flat rate medium boxes for shipping a dozen eggs. I charge a small fee for supplies like bubble wrap, packing materails, and paching tape.
The flat rate shipping costs me about $11.00.
I just sent an incubator to a BYCer in Illinois (not too far away) in a really big package.
The box measured 21x 21x 8.5 and weighed almost 6 pounds. It had a circulated-air foam 'bator & an order of 6+ silkie/sizzle eggs packed inside. I paid extra for insurance. It cost about $13.00 total to ship.
If the recipient is only a couple states away, using your own box could be cheaper... if you have the box. If you're buying boxes, you'd have to figure the box price in there.
If I would have sent the 'bator to California... it probably would have cost closer to $30.00 for that package.
As for the air vs. truck travel... both have their positives & negatives. I think that's just part of the risk of shipping eggs. I've gotten great hatch rates from eggs shipped from Ca, and poor rates from eggs from Md. It just is "luck of the draw" when it comes to shipping eggs.
Just make sure you pack them well. That's the best way to ensure that your customer gets a decent hatch. Oh, and I always try to send extras. That helps, too.
I recently had a shipped box get lost. Took a detour to Alaska. The buyer finally got her eggs a week later. Since I sent extras, she has 6 eggs developing out of a 6+ order. I sent more than 6 eggs, but the buyer got their "money's worth."
Hope this info helps.
smile.png

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom