shock collar for runaway dog?

a shock collar -probably- won't do anything other than scare him and make him bolt even MORE. if he's already runnin off, and somethin he can't see or hear or smell suddenly zaps him in the neck, he's more than likely to just run faster.

do you know the reason why he runs away? like, is he chasing a squirrel off, is he scent following a trail, is he bored, is he trying to claim territory, is he just flighty by nature, etc? if you can figure out the root cause, that'll put you way ahead in how you approach training. shock collars are so often used incorrectly, confusing the animal even further and making things worse, not better. but it depends on the individual dog.

we just use a tie-out for my dog who can't be trusted :p

Quote:
thank you!!! seriously, i have told him this!!

Well, get a crate and tell your husband that if you are required to watch the dog, the dog stays in the crate (LEASHED potty breaks) until his daddy comes home to play with him because you just can't manage the dog yourself.

Either your husband will get a clue and step up to it, or he will see that the dog isn't having a happy life with you so he might agree to rehoming it.
idunno.gif

or put my husband in a crate!
lol.png

he has a tie out but i hate seeing him in the yard like that..thats no fun...and it also makes him bark nonstop. probably out of boredom.

Forget it. I've got the same type of dog. Evil demonic poodle from Hades. He will bolt, won't come back for HOURS if he decides to come back at all.

I've started making both of the dogs go into a crate before I answer the door. It keeps him from getting out and keeps me from wanting to kill him.

I tried the shock collar, the stupid thing just went through it and kept running. It hurt him like heck...you'd hear him yelp but then he'd be gone. He'd even know how far he would have to get before it stopped hurting or started hurting. Gah...

well crap, then.

at least im not the only one with a stupid dog..i just cant believe this dog..it was funny though, he got out the other day and my husband was yelling NO in this stern voice as the dog beat a trail down the road..i could tell it made an impression!
lol.png

Quote:
Yall must have tried the cheap shock collars.
I have one with a 1/4 mile range, that's a lot of runnin if you want to outrun it! lol Just sayin.

I still don't think it's the best solution for the OP though.

Crate before opening the door sounds like a good idea.

What kind of dog is it? It sounds to me like your hubby and kids need to EXCERCISE the dog a LOT more than however much he's getting exercised now. If he's just taking off to go and do something like swim, he's bored and needs something to do. A tired dog is a better behaved dog. He's probably smarter than you think....there are some "auto-play" dog toys that they can "operate" themselves to throw a ball over and over again if the dog retrieves....some people will train their dogs to use a treadmill for exercise.... If he can't be given the exercise he needs then maybe he does need a new home...

Oh wanted to add...with opening the door....leashing before opening the door may be easier/better than crating.......with leashing you have the opportunity to prevent the dog from bolting WHILE it tries, which presents a training opportunity that you can't utilize when the dog is crated.

Last edited:
Yall must have tried the cheap shock collars.
I have one with a 1/4 mile range, that's a lot of runnin if you want to outrun it! lol Just sayin.

Sounds like she had an electric fence and not a training collar?​

its a lab mix. i just hope i can still find a home for him..but its been hard because i am very honest about why he needs a new home and no one else wants a runner either.

How much exercise does he recieve now? Many labs/lab mixes are VERY high energy dogs and need HOURS of exercise a day.....tieing them out is just plain boring, and as you've experienced, just leads to behaviors like barking. They're also usually pretty intelligent, so having nothing to do leads to built up, excess energy, and thus bolting to find something to do. I think a combination of EXERCISE and working with a lead at the door would probably work for him.

Back
Top Bottom