1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shock collars

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chilling in muscadine, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    My sister is having a problem with one of her dogs. She is not working right now so money is tight. Does anyone know where the best and cheapest place is to buy a shock collor. The dog she is having issues with is a medium size dog. Any info would be helpful.

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I need one of those for my Hubby..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe try Ebay??

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I would use Google to search the internet, call all the local feed stores and places that sell hunting supplies, then compare the prices of what you find to those on eBay.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Feed Stores, Wal-Mart has them, hunting supply stores.
    Try craigslist They don't solve all problems, though.
    christina

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Just about any where that has animal supplies would have one. You will just have to shop around for the best price.

6. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I cant believe no one has said this yet; dont you think there is a more reasonable way to correct this problem then through pain? Like, positive reinforcement?

7. A shock collar ONLY works if you are present when the dog goes and does something that it is not suppose to. Problem is they usually don't do the thing you do not want them to do !! So a shock collar is near worthless.

8. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    When we 1st moved in to our house , a dog came running into our garage. He was real friendly and we were petting him, when all of a sudden he started screaming in pain. He had a shock collar on and it was zapping him. We immediately took it off being careful not to touch the metal things. Their was a tag with his name and phone so we called the owner and left a mssg. Locked him in the garage. The owner picked him up, put the collar back on and aid that sometimes it malfunctioned and welcome to the area. Don' know what the deal was but I've been weary of those things ever since.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Shock collars work great. You just have to know how to use them. Iv used them alot, with great success. Id look on Ebay, they seem to have alot of them on there. [​IMG]

10. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    My dogs all wear shock collars for the underground fence. If your willing to put the time into the training they are a good thing. I followed all the instructions provided, did internet searches and worked with my dogs for almost a month before I let them roam with out guidance. They only were shocked twice alone before they learned as soon as the collar beeps back away. My collars have the option to turn off shocks which I have done and they still work wonders. As soon as the collar beeps they turn and head the other way. My beagle took off after a rabbit and stopped dead in her tracks as soon as the collar beeped. It is truly like having a solid fence out there. Now I would never leave them out all day without some supervision. But atleast I now let them out and don't watch like a hawk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by