Shock in baby chicks? Help please!

PurpleConverse

Chirping
May 9, 2021
One of the chicks we have got out and my youngest kiddo grabbed her and shoved her in a cup before I could stop him. We have already fixed the fact that she got out so it doesn't happen to the others. She was stuck in the bottom of the cup very uncomfortably looking. She seems fine physically but I'm concerned she's in shock. Can that happen from something like that? She was shaking in my hands and she wasn't really walking normal like she seemed a little drunk but her legs seemed fine physically. She seems very tired. I have her wrapped up and she's warm and in a calm and quiet area. Is there anything else I should be doing? How do I know if she is in shock? How do I know if she's out of shock? The chick is about two weeks old. We were told when we got them that they were about a week old give or take. And we've had them a weekish? Thank you everyone!!

Last edited:
I don't think the chick is in shock, more likely it's just startled/scared. Shock is usually from a result of pain or injury, especially to the head/neck. Either way, you should still treat it for shock.

Keep it in a warm, dark, quiet place. I recommend placing a shoebox on a heating pad -- this is what I've done for birds that have flown into windows. If there isn't any injury, the shock should subside overnight. Check on the chick in a few hours. If it's awake, offer it some water with electrolytes and a little bit of sugar, preferably in a small container -- I typically use bottlecaps or the tops of food containers. Offer food in case it's hungry. If it's sleeping or quiet, simply leave it be. It should be fine by morning, though it may be a little wobbly or skittish still.

DO NOT handle the chick once you place it in the box. Any further handling will stress it even more. It needs time and sleep.

I don't think the chick is in shock, more likely it's just startled/scared. Shock is usually from a result of pain or injury, especially to the head/neck. Either way, you should still treat it for shock.

Keep it in a warm, dark, quiet place. I recommend placing a shoebox on a heating pad -- this is what I've done for birds that have flown into windows. If there isn't any injury, the shock should subside overnight. Check on the chick in a few hours. If it's awake, offer it some water with electrolytes and a little bit of sugar, preferably in a small container -- I typically use bottlecaps or the tops of food containers. Offer food in case it's hungry. If it's sleeping or quiet, simply leave it be. It should be fine by morning, though it may be a little wobbly or skittish still.

DO NOT handle the chick once you place it in the box. Any further handling will stress it even more. It needs time and sleep.

Thank you! Yes she is sleeping right now and nice and warm. I will make sure not to handle her. How do I get electrolytes into the water? Great idea on the bottle caps! Thank you so very much!

Thank you! Yes she is sleeping right now and nice and warm. I will make sure not to handle her. How do I get electrolytes into the water? Great idea on the bottle caps! Thank you so very much!
Save-A-Chick is great, but in case you don't have any, I use this recipe:
  • 8 teaspoons of sugar (I use granulated white.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
Stir, whisk, or shake the ingredients together. Stir in 1.5 teaspoons of the mix into 1 quart of warm water.

If the chick absolutely needs to be handled (such as if she begins rapidly declining) then you can stir 2 teaspoons of the mix into 1 cup of warm water. Use an eyedropper to give her a drop at a time into the side of her beak -- this will keep her from aspirating the fluid.

Edit: You can store the mixed ingredients in a cool, dry place for later use as needed. I store a jar of it in my pantry for emergencies. Toss out any unused liquid at the end of the day, though.

Save-A-Chick is great, but in case you don't have any, I use this recipe:
  • 8 teaspoons of sugar (I use granulated white.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
Stir, whisk, or shake the ingredients together. Stir in 1.5 teaspoons of the mix into 1 quart of warm water.

If the chick absolutely needs to be handled (such as if she begins rapidly declining) then you can stir 2 teaspoons of the mix into 1 cup of warm water. Use an eyedropper to give her a drop at a time into the side of her beak -- this will keep her from aspirating the fluid.

Edit: You can store the mixed ingredients in a cool, dry place for later use as needed. I store a jar of it in my pantry for emergencies. Toss out any unused liquid at the end of the day, though.
Thank you! This is wonderful help. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom