Shock in baby chicks? Help please!

She has woken up quite a few times and she doesn't want any water. Completely not interested. Should I worry about dehydration? It's been almost 7 hours now. No water or food.

Literally just put the chick back in the cage and let it rest. If you start giving sugar mixes for no reason, if the chick is actually coming down sick, you will not know if it was the sugar mix you gave, or if she is onsetting another illness. The symptoms you describe are potential illnesses not related to being handled momentarily.

Let her be until morning. She will probably forget what happened. If she is not acting normal like the other chicks then you have to reassess. Do not isolate either because you want to see her eating and being around the others helps. You could isolate for a few hours to recover the shock but get her back in with the others when she has slept a while.

Please report back with her condition after 12 hours or so.

Last edited:
Literally just put the chick back in the cage and let it rest. If you start giving sugar for no reason, if the chick is actually coming down sick, you will not know if it was the sugar mix you gave, or if she is onsetting another illness. The symptoms you describe are potential illnesses not related to being handled momentarily.

Let her be until morning. She will probably forget what happened. If she is not acting normal like the other chicks then you have to reassess. Do not isolate either.
I have not given it sugar. I've offered only water so far and only when she's awake. She doesn't want anything to do with the other chicks. They are hyper and running around and she wants to rest. And seems stressed when things are too noisy etc. She's currently not acting like the other chicks at all. My concern is she wasn't really handled momentarily as much as she was shoved into the bottom of a cup. And before that she was totally and completely normal. I'm sure you can see my concern as a first time chicken owner. Thank you for your comment.

Edited to add: if it is an illness would it be contagious? If she was sick wouldn't I want her away from the others so they don't get it type of thing? Or is that not how it works with chickens? Will isolating be bad for her if she's not sick and not in shock?

Last edited:
I have not given it sugar. I've offered only water so far. She doesn't want anything to do with the other chicks. They are hyper and running around and she wants to rest. And seems stressed when things are too noisy etc. She's currently not acting like the other chicks at all. My concern is she wasn't really handled momentarily as much as she was shoved into the bottom of a cup. And before that she was totally and completely normal. I'm sure you can see my concern as a first time chicken owner. Thank you for your comment.
Sorry there is a lot of scary things going on in your mind because chicks are scary whether it's your first or hundreth they are delicate little creatures. I updated my comment that isolation is best like the others said too.

Give her 12 hours to recover the shock, and give drops of water with an eye dropper, even the homemade electrolytes or vitamins. Make sure there is food for her to peck at her feet. I'm glad you fixed the cage so it won't happen again. I guess I'm just hoping for you to get her back to normal.

I have a chick right now I bought at a market three days ago from a cage full of energetic chicks. She was so energetic and eating normal when I got her home, I just let her free immediately but I turned away one moment and she escaped for the half a day in the hot sun. I found her before bedtime, and she was in a similar state of shock. The next day she turned out even sicker and she has been on antibiotics, sulfa, and vitamins because she is sick with cocci. Today she is getting her energy back three days later, she is chirping and her puffy eyes have gone back to normal quite more rapidly than I expected. I just feel for you. I know there is the same unknown woth your chick, you don't know what happened to her while she was in the cup. But if being in a cup is all that happened, the recovery will be quick and she would do well around the others.

Here is my sick chick that I thought was in shock, but when she didn't recover it turns out she had cocci. Her swollen eye was a sign of something serious. The swelling went away after two days treatment because I was able to treat early.

Can you post a picture of your poor little baby chick?

20210513_083115.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I read everything you said. I appreciate it so much. I'm attaching pictures. She's up and was very hungry and moving around and chirping and stuff so I put her back with the other chicks. I am now wondering if she might have hurt her wing? If she did is it ok to put her with the other chicks? She's moving around good but she's pruning (?) A lot and she keeps laying down weird and getting back up. I'll show you a reference photo of the laying down weird thing. And I'm sending a picture of her laying down with the others and looking up (she's on the top middle of that pic). Also attaching a picture of her wings from the back.

Attachments

• PXL_20210515_083847010~2.jpg
    PXL_20210515_083847010~2.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210515_082636541~2.jpg
    PXL_20210515_082636541~2.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210515_084819556~2.jpg
    PXL_20210515_084819556~2.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom