Shocker Price for Feed

I don't know if I have bought from Sustainable. I have bought from Fedco, Johnny's, Seed Savers' Exchange, Comstock & Ferre, Whatcom Seed (closest to you of the bunch, I think), Victory Seeds. And a few more that don't come to mind right now.

To put in a bunch of something it is really nice to have a manual seed drill. If you share the expense with three other people you might be able to get one for $30 or less apiece, and it is a back-saver for a number of seeds. I have used it for flax, oats, and peas so far.

Nice thing about the animals is that they give back nitrogen, phosphorus and a bunch of other things that can feed the garden.

Oh, and you may be able to ingratiate yourself with a gardener by letting them have some duck straw (that the ducks have eaten the seeds from and put fertilizer into) for their gardens and compost. If they grow vegetables that the ducks (or you) enjoy, it could be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Last edited:
I don't know if I have bought from Sustainable. I have bought from Fedco, Johnny's, Seed Savers' Exchange, Comstock & Ferre, Whatcom Seed (closest to you of the bunch, I think), Victory Seeds. And a few more that don't come to mind right now.

To put in a bunch of something it is really nice to have a manual seed drill. If you share the expense with three other people you might be able to get one for $30 or less apiece, and it is a back-saver for a number of seeds. I have used it for flax, oats, and peas so far.

Nice thing about the animals is that they give back nitrogen, phosphorus and a bunch of other things that can feed the garden.

Oh, and you may be able to ingratiate yourself with a gardener by letting them have some duck straw (that the ducks have eaten the seeds from and put fertilizer into) for their gardens and compost. If they grow vegetables that the ducks (or you) enjoy, it could be a mutually beneficial arrangement.
Thanks for the ideas! I'll check them out. I'm kind of thinking about trying to find someone in my area that likes to garden, but doesn't have the space. I have the space, but not the time.

We haven't had drought here, but found some reasonably priced hay last week and bought 30 ton. Most of the hay in our area has been getting shipped out.

Feed prices have already gone up 70 cents a bag wholesale. Purina now updates their price list every two weeks. It a shame because we are still using last years corn and they are basing their prices on "futures".

Thanks for the ideas! I'll check them out. I'm kind of thinking about trying to find someone in my area that likes to garden, but doesn't have the space. I have the space, but not the time.
I would not mind if you lived in my neighborhood, then! Much of what I have here on this partly sunny hillside is perennials, and I love them. This includes the comfrey that the ducks nibble on in the summer, and a bunch of native greens they eat. But the nice, easily stored high-calorie stuff pretty much needs full sun.

I have been encouraged by a seemingly increasing number of people willing to cooperate on gardens, so that a small group with a combination of land, energy, and know-how can do pretty well.

Wish we could send of our rain from the East to the Mid West. Thankfully, local prices here have been pretty steady, but I imagine we'll see
raises as well, since some of our locals will be selling to further away than before. I admit to being very happy we have a small flock and
all past the ravenous stage of growing. We've been feeding a lot of weed from garden clean outs, which definitely helps with small flocks, but
not much help for the big breeder flocks.

Lets hope for a shift in weather patterns over the winter, to replenish some of those ground waters.

Best,

Liz

I just got a #50 sack of Blue Seal pellets for $15 today, and I know it's going to go up with the next shipment. My feed is from a co-op so they don't gouge, but prices will have to reflect the increase in wholesale feed cost. I am dreading it.

Wish we could send of our rain from the East to the Mid West. Thankfully, local prices here have been pretty steady, but I imagine we'll see
raises as well, since some of our locals will be selling to further away than before. I admit to being very happy we have a small flock and
all past the ravenous stage of growing. We've been feeding a lot of weed from garden clean outs, which definitely helps with small flocks, but
not much help for the big breeder flocks.

Lets hope for a shift in weather patterns over the winter, to replenish some of those ground waters.

Best,

Liz

I would sell my soul to the devil himself if it meant we could have some rain for the cattle around here :(

Back
Top Bottom