Shocker Price for Feed

Yep, you have a mixed flock of pets. Where we have breeding programs and provide birds and hatching eggs and eating eggs to others. I am just as OCD about the food our dogs get and the goats too. As I said before we dont let our kids eat fast food, so there is care given to feed details for the animals too.

Diddo about the fast food to kids!! Someone else like me :) WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, its what I can afford, they have a super clean pen and a actual pond. I think the pond makes up for the -fast food- they eat. And I love to cut of the veggies my Mom dosent use out of the garden and give that to them on daily basis. And Im thinking of trying oat meal with them, to see if they like it :)

LoL, yep you are only as good as the food you take in.

goodpost.gif
Totally agree. Speaking of that, I am just trying to already plan ahead lunches for the girls when they start school again :) Guess I never actually THOUGHT about "fast food" for the ducks. It makes sense. Question: If I let them both forage all day, provide flaxseed, oatmeal in their feed, does a bit of cracked corn affect them much? You mentioned when you slaughter you see the fat deposits throughout the carcasses and I am interested in how MUCH corn affects them.

Feed isn't going to be the biggest thing to go up, grocerys, gas, and all that good stuff is going to sky rocket.

With my family being in the farm business this is going to hurt everyone for years and years to come. Our corn crops are at a 95% failure. Today we had a bit of relief with clouds coming throughout the day but the rest of the week 100-105 degrees with a Heat Index of 107-115. Whatever is left of the corn crop is done for. The Soybeans are just starting to feel the affects of the heat.

This Winter isn't looking good either, with the very little hay that was baled about 70% of the hay in this area was bought and shipped to another state where the drought is just as bad. With the farmers selling their hay they are going to have a Shortage then they are going to have to buy more feed for the animals needs and thus that will go up also.

We are now in a Extreme drought but by next week we'll be in the Exceptional drought area and it will just keep getting worse and worse as the months go by. They are saying in our area we might not have relief till October or November? That's a LONG ways away!

Its just not looking good at all.. Thank goodness we have Crop Insurance!

Quote:

If you are adding it in the winter it will be helpful to them for extra energy in the cold. As a daily main food source, not so good. I would stay away from Oatmeal. Oatmeal is not the same as oats. Oatmeal has been streamed and rolled and crushed and is just bits and pieces left. Oats can be found at in bulk at the feed store and come as rolled (but still the whole oat) crimped and whole, this way you are feeding the complete grain.

Ducks when we still offered scratch had 50% or higher fat content than those since we cut it completely out of their diet.

Kevin I hope they are wrong about your weather forecast. We are always hot here in FL in the summer, its just part of life, but I know many areas are seein our temps and arent use to them. We already pay high prices for milk since it has to be trucked into the state, hay is the same thing we pay $7 a square for crap brown grass hay.

The ranch in Kansas where my uncle lives is suffering. Yesterday he had folks come to look at his cattle as he is going to have to sell at LEAST 100 head. He was promised hay from Wisconsin but it hasn't gotten here yet and the cost of mileage to truck it via semi has risen quite a bit. He sold his remaining hay to buy better quality hay for his cattle but it just is getting out of control. In Nebraska, the corn is failing just as a bad and the soybeans aren't that great either. No relief in sight, at least not in Kansas.

Feed isn't going to be the biggest thing to go up, grocerys, gas, and all that good stuff is going to sky rocket.

Exactly and then it's the trickle down affect... Fuel here is insane, food is too. We are fortunate though, we are slated for rain this afternoon and we got some last week. I'm sorry your having such problems, we've been quite hot for our area considering.

I appreciate everyone's contribution to the bigger picture, here. It is probably a good idea to look around and see what alternative foods of good quality are available in the immediate area, and think about how to incorporate those into not only our ducks' diets, but our own.

I have been impressed at how much food can be grown in a relatively small area, with well-fed soil (compost and manure) and water (drip hoses, rain barrels, mulch help conserve).

And I can only imagine how the many many people in drought areas are feeling and thinking right now. I pray that ways will open for a better future for you all.

hugs.gif

With my family being in the farm business this is going to hurt everyone for years and years to come. Our corn crops are at a 95% failure. Today we had a bit of relief with clouds coming throughout the day but the rest of the week 100-105 degrees with a Heat Index of 107-115. Whatever is left of the corn crop is done for. The Soybeans are just starting to feel the affects of the heat.

This Winter isn't looking good either, with the very little hay that was baled about 70% of the hay in this area was bought and shipped to another state where the drought is just as bad. With the farmers selling their hay they are going to have a Shortage then they are going to have to buy more feed for the animals needs and thus that will go up also.

We are now in a Extreme drought but by next week we'll be in the Exceptional drought area and it will just keep getting worse and worse as the months go by. They are saying in our area we might not have relief till October or November? That's a LONG ways away!

Its just not looking good at all.. Thank goodness we have Crop Insurance!

Yikes! That's not sounding good at all. I'm glad you have insurance.

I appreciate everyone's contribution to the bigger picture, here. It is probably a good idea to look around and see what alternative foods of good quality are available in the immediate area, and think about how to incorporate those into not only our ducks' diets, but our own.

I have been impressed at how much food can be grown in a relatively small area, with well-fed soil (compost and manure) and water (drip hoses, rain barrels, mulch help conserve).

And I can only imagine how the many many people in drought areas are feeling and thinking right now. I pray that ways will open for a better future for you all.

hugs.gif

I've been looking into planting some forage crops for my geese, chickens, and ducks. Possibly to supplement the horses' diets, but they don't get grain now and they take a lot of pasture to feed, so I'll have to continue to buy hay for them.

Any recommendations on what seed companies to buy from? I'd prefer heirloom seeds, if possible. I have the land (10 acres), I just don't know where to start...

Anyone ever bought from the Sustainable Seed Company?

Back
Top Bottom