Shooting baby predators. Is it wrong?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Today I heard my birds freaking out, I ran outside to find my rooster and hens cornered by a mother raccoon and her 4 babies. The raccoon was in a stare down with my rooster and neither had advanced on the other. It was in broad daylight, maybe around 2:30 in the afternoon and even when I showed up the raccoons were not retreating. I grabbed my rifle and killed the mother, then shortly after the young raccoons. After it happened I sort of felt bad, conflicted. I told one of my friends and she freaked out. I don't know what to think, I'm under the impression that if I didn't kill them now I just would be killing them in two months. I guess I'm just seeing if other people have encountered this problem and what they did. I promise I'm not some weirdo who gets his fun by killing anything that moves.

Not a fun situation at all... I sympathize and can't tell if it is right or wrong- it is your conscience. I do what I can to keep my chickens in a secure place because I don't think I could get over killing anything but I understand when people feel differently. If you don't want to shoot them, perhaps you could try trapping and relocating? You may need to work with wildlife officials to do that though... Here we have lots of space where coons could be where they won't bother anyone. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am an animal control cooperative licensed by the state, believe me you did the right thing. It does upset some folks so keep it yourself, no need to tell other whats going on.

Little raccoons grow up to be big raccoons. As far as relocating them, you would just be dumping your problem on someone else. How would you feel if someone relocates a family of raccoons in your neighborhood? You did the right thing in protecting your birds. Maybe a big dog that is bird friendly would help.

Quote:
Trapping and relocating is out of the question all you are doing is causing someone else a problem. What happens is the critter gets trap shy and will not make the mistake of getting caught again, now you have created a real problem. Only way to get it is to catch it in the act and shoot it.

I don't think what you did was wrong, you were protecting your chickens! If the rooster could have used the rifle, he would have been happy to do it for you
lau.gif

Everyone has to make their own decisions about how to deal with predators. I chose to build my open air pen out of hardware cloth and do all I can to prevent anything from getting to them as I know that I am not willing to kill them. THey were here before I put chickens here. In fact, I frequently see a possum eating leftover cat food on my porch. I figure even if I were to kill them there would be more to come. This has to be a to each his own kind of decision.
sharon

I haven't encountered the problem myself but would do the same thing. Momma was showing them were to eat so they would have been back. I'm an animal lover and hate to kill anything but I'm realistic in that, I'm the chickens' guardian and it is up to me to protect my "wards" from all predators. I'll will kill outside predators (including someone's pet) if they are on my property and pose a threat. Hunting for a cat right now, it was seen going through my backyard to the garage were I keep my chicks (very secured, locked down tight chicks).

well cool, that's a relief. When I told my friend she was genuinely upset.. so it really had me thinking. I'll have to let her know that the internet said it was okay.

edited to add: My coop and run are both very secure but we like to let the girls free range our 2.5 acres.. this was the first incident of it's kind in the few months we've let them roam free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom