shopping for barred plymouth rock chicks

CB3fish

Songster
6 Years
May 22, 2014
HI, I saw some really big barred Plymouth rock hens hens only 6 months old!! I saw 2 year old hens not as big!! I want to buy some barred Plymouth rock chicks as pure bred as possible. What advice have you and thank you.

Last edited:
HI, I saw some really big barred Plymouth rock hens hens only 6 months old!! I saw 2 year old hens not as big!! I want to buy some barred Plymouth rock chicks as pure bread as possible. What advice have you and thank you.

What you want are true heritage line BRs, not hatchery stock. I have two lines. My Marvin Stukel line hens are very large and perfectly barred, but they are very difficult to locate. I also have a second line, the Jill Burk line. They are smaller than the Stukels, but barring is nice.There is also the Good Shepherd line to consider. You'll have the size you're looking for, I think.
These are the Stukel hens, though I have only two left now (they are aging), plus a few of their daughters. Is this what you mean? They are hefty hens.
DSCN4429.jpg
DSCN6350.jpg

DSCN5796Dru.JPG
DSCN5835.JPG
DSCN5929.JPG
DSCN9354.JPG
DSCN9390.JPG

What you want are true heritage line BRs, not hatchery stock. I have two lines. My Marvin Stukel line hens are very large and perfectly barred, but they are very difficult to locate. I also have a second line, the Jill Burk line. They are smaller than the Stukels, but barring is nice.There is also the Good Shepherd line to consider. You'll have the size you're looking for, I think.
These are the Stukel hens, though I have only two left now (they are aging), plus a few of their daughters. Is this what you mean? They are hefty hens. View attachment 1202498 View attachment 1202499
View attachment 1202493 View attachment 1202494 View attachment 1202495 View attachment 1202496 View attachment 1202497

I find with this new website that I have more typographical errors than I did previously.
I think I type too fast for it to keep up.
I go back and look later to correct them but after a couple days, you're not allowed to edit.
I hate looking stupid.

Speckledhen has some nice looking birds. I was just going to chime in that you need to locate breeders rather than hatcheries.
Poultry shows may be a good place to meet breeders.
I don't know if other states have this but we have a book that comes out annually called the MO Poultry Yearbook that lists all NPIP flocks in the state and what species/breeds each raises.

I find with this new website that I have more typographical errors than I did previously.
I think I type too fast for it to keep up.
I go back and look later to correct them but after a couple days, you're not allowed to edit.
I hate looking stupid.

Speckledhen has some nice looking birds. I was just going to chime in that you need to locate breeders rather than hatcheries.
Poultry shows may be a good place to meet breeders.
I don't know if other states have this but we have a book that comes out annually called the MO Poultry Yearbook that lists all NPIP flocks in the state and what species/breeds each raises.

Back
Top Bottom