Short height runs?

my run was originally built short (2 summers ago) because hubby was involved and would not allow me to make it taller.
Last summer I... and I alone, added height to it.
Now it is more like a lean to being I can walk in part of it and reach the rest.

do not make a short run. Like I said, mine was done against my wishes.

I've had short & tall runs. All I can say is the short ones are a pain. I love my tall pens. My layer house & run has roofs at 8-10 feet high and I love it. I can go in, walk around hang toos on the walls to keep them handy, if you can build tall I would reccommend it.

But I have a question for rocketdad: Where do you live that they have a height limit on your pens????? I know that some governing bodies can be strange, but I've never seen that one before
roll.png

Longmont, Colorado. The city council argued for years about it, and finally agreed to 4 hens, chickens only, 10'x12' maximum combined run and coop, no higher than 7' tall, and a sunset date. Oh, and we can't slaughter, so if we accidentally end up with a roo, we can take it to raptor rescue or something.

Meanwhile unlicensed dogs can bark all night and crap all over, and a house in my neighborhood has a "play structure" (unregulated under our city code) that's 3 stories of stud-framing and T1-11 siding.

Someday I'll post pictures of the weirdest shed(s) ever someone else built, and it's legal without a permit: A pair of 10x12 structures built more or less like a house, 6 feet apart.​

Quote:
No Kidding!!!
No slaughtering?
Heh, I would do it at the kitchen sink to get around that rule, LOL!

As to short runs. DO NOT DO IT!
Unless it super skinny, and the top opens fully. Or, its a tractor that you will move daily.
There is nothing worse the having to get on your hands and knees to get in there to clean it out.

Longmont, Colorado. The city council argued for years about it, and finally agreed to 4 hens, chickens only, 10'x12' maximum combined run and coop, no higher than 7' tall, and a sunset date. Oh, and we can't slaughter, so if we accidentally end up with a roo, we can take it to raptor rescue or something.

And how would they know you slaughter your chickens? That bogus. They must have someone in a watchtower looking for circling vultures! If I have a problem roo, I'm taking him out! No one will know the wiser!​

And how would they know you slaughter your chickens?

How indeed? It's obviously going to be compliant-based enforcement. They've never inspected the coop and run to ensure compliance.

SO - other people with tall runs - how high do you have roosts in the run? I haven't put any in yet, but want some.​

Well, I'm planning on bantams, and they like to fly. With the four foot height on my run I'll probably have roosts at three feet. It's not "in the treetops," but it'll give them a nice place to get up off the ground once in a while. I'm thinking just a 2x4 with nails at each end so it hangs on the wire, removeable, for cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom