Shotty rooster tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueclip, Sep 11, 2016.

1. blueclip

blueclip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    I wasn't sure where to put this, but my one year-old Dominique rooster has a really bad tail. He had a good tail up until 10 months old and then it started to fall apart. It's more like a half tail he does not have the large circle feather that is characteristic of a rooster. He has been this way for a few months now, can someone tell me what is going on?

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you have more than one rooster? May be a rooster fight. I have noticed they love to hack another's tail off with their spurs.

3. blueclip

blueclip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    Nope. Just one.

4. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmmm sorry not sure then! Other than a feather plucking hen. my hens are always attracted to my banty roosters sickle feathers but he's faster than them. Hopefully he will molt soon and grow back a nice lush one. My rooster is currently molting so has a stubby little tail too. In the meantime additional protein can help with feather growth. Eggs, canned fish or an adjustment in pellets to one with higher protein content. Sorry best I can offer. Good luck.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I bet your hens are the reason behind his bad tail feathers.....Almost can see them pecking him...Haha!
    He loves his girls...The next moult he will grow in a fine tail...Have no worries...

Cheers!

6. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Interesting. I just hae been treating my 1 yr old Barred Rock rooster for the same symptoms. He has NO tail! so, I caught him, and examined his rear end. Skin is red, feathers appear to be broken off at the base. I looked it up here, and found some mentioning Depluming Mites. I didn't see any, but I slathered up his rear end with lots of Nu-Stock. Now, that stuff is very stiff to use, so I mixed it with coconut oil. It still separates, but I paste him up really good and let him wear it till he wipes it off. He is on his 3rd treatment. Last time I looked, he is re-growing some of the feathers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by