Should Australorp babies have black shanks and yellow/orange feet?

Australorps should have white skin -- which is a dominant trait.
Yes. This means, if the mother is pure for the white skin gene, she will NEVER produce a chick with yellow feet, no matter who the father is.

So either the chick does have white feet (genetically speaking, but they might look yellow at hatch like the other chick someone posted.)

Or if the chick really does have yellow feet, then the mother has the gene for yellow feet, which a pure Australorp is not supposed to have. It is possible for a chicken to have white feet but carry the gene for yellow feet without showing it, which is what might be happening with that hen.

Yes. This means, if the mother is pure for the white skin gene, she will NEVER produce a chick with yellow feet, no matter who the father is.

So either the chick does have white feet (genetically speaking, but they might look yellow at hatch like the other chick someone posted.)

Or if the chick really does have yellow feet, then the mother has the gene for yellow feet, which a pure Australorp is not supposed to have. It is possible for a chicken to have white feet but carry the gene for yellow feet without showing it, which is what might be happening with that hen.
Mom hen has white skin and soles as well as rooster. I can get pictures tommorow, now its 10:46 PM here in Serbia

his is not true.

Hens are capable of rejecting unwanted sperm from unwelcome males. It's also possible for different eggs to be fertilized by different males when the sperm mixes in her storage area.

The same hatch that produced my black girls produced chicks fertilized by the other rooster as well. :)
Exactly, which is why I think this baby's father is the mixed breed rooster, and not the Australorp.

Exactly, which is why I think this baby's father is the mixed breed rooster, and not the Australorp.
20220215_101138-1.jpg

Here is pic of that mixed breed rooster if it helps , he was mine but I gave-traded him for one pullet. I wouldn't but that guy won't cull him, he needed one roo for his hens and he is happy, I visit him every often.

View attachment 3164295

Here is pic of that mixed breed rooster if it helps , he was mine but I gave-traded him for one pullet. I wouldn't but that guy won't cull him, he needed one roo for his hens and he is happy, I visit him every often.

If he's the father the chick may end up with some gold leakage in it's adult plumage.

Back
Top Bottom