Should coop door swing in or swing out?

sksmass

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
That's pretty much the question. I could see advantages to both.
Note: talking about the HUMAN door, not the chicken "pop" door.

Last edited:
I would think it should swing out. Make it harder for a predator to get in, and you wouldn't have to worry about bedding getting to thick to push the door through.

Last edited:
I'd say out, because of issues with bedding and hitting chickens inside when you open the door.

My coop door swings out. It makes it easier for cleaning, filling waterer and feeder, and keeping preds out. When I want to work in the coop, I toss some goodies into the the run to keep all the hens busy. Then I block off the pop door so that I don't get any "chicken visitors" while I am working.

My run door opens in so that I can "push" back the chickens as I go in.

Good Luck!
Cindy

I very much prefer for the doors to swing in. They have to be set a little higher, to accomodate bedding. You also have to have to room to swing the door. It is easier to control the movement of any escape artists when they are behind a (slowly) moving door. I do have one door that swings out, and find that I have to always put my foot or whatever I am carrying in front of the opening to keep them from hopping out.

Mine swing out. If they went in, it would hit my poultry netting. Its a good question.
big_smile.png

Out...less easy to force or break from the outside. Also gives more space in the coop for feeders, etc.

Back
Top Bottom