Should "grit" look/smell like this or is it "bad"?

fluffychicksmomma

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
We're still newbies, our chicks are now about 3 months old. The only grit I have had experience with so far, was a box of parakeet grit that we got when we first started them on grit. So I just bought our first bag from our local feed store. The bag simply says poultry grit, but this stuff bears absolutely no similarity to the parakeet grit. First it is moist, it smells and looks a lot like dirt with chunks of ?/something, I really have no idea what, in it. There is nothing in it resembling sand either. I expected something coarser and larger than parakeet grit, but this stuff just looks weird. Its very brown. Should grit be this damp and dirt-smelling? Did I just get a bad bag? I bet someone is laughing at me by now.
lol.png
Please advise.
smile.png

I've had both chick grit and chicken grit, and neither of them looked anything like what you describe. The chick grit was larger than sand particles, and reddish in color with a slight anise smell that acts as an attractant (I'm told) for chicks. The number 2 poultry grit I have is whitish gray and has no odor. It is larger/coarser than the baby stuff. I would talk to the feed store, and verify what they sold you, and the quality. It doesn't sound right to me. Commercial poultry grit is usually crushed granite, I believe.

Thanks Dora's mom. I was just looking at the bag again. It says "insoluble crushed granite", but I think I will take it back to the feed store tomorrow. If nothing else, it does not seem like it should be damp! And does anyone know what the difference is between "insoluble crushed granite" vs. oyster shell stuff?

If I am correct, the granite grit is for digestion and the oyster shell is to give them calcium for when they are ready to lay. I don't think you give chicks oyster shell as they don't need the calcium yet and it can be harmful!

The grit that I buy has never been damp or smelled. It just looks like tiny gray crushed rocks.

Last edited:
Oh thank you, I was wondering why there were 2 different kinds of "grit". So pk, yours has been damp? Is it dark brown and smells like dirt? I start thinking, why don't I just give the chickens dirt rather than buy this stuff? I don't know.....
smile.png

A bag of granite grit will last you many years. And they are dry material as rock should be.

Oyster shell before laying is asking for problems eventually as their systems are not made to handle the extra calcium until laying starts...as I recall reading.

Here is what my grit looks like:

35063_grit.jpg

Here is the bag (20" tall) which will last many years. Inexpensive. An once of prevention...

35063_grit1.jpg

Last edited:
And does anyone know what the difference is between "insoluble crushed granite" vs. oyster shell stuff?

Oyster shell is not grit.
It dissolves

Granite IS grit and does NOT dissolve (insolluble)
You've got the right stuff
I start thinking, why don't I just give the chickens dirt rather than buy this stuff?

Dirt is also "powdered rock", just liek the granite
If your birds have access to the ground, they probably don't need the grit​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom