Should I adopt feral hen and her babies?

You probably did not see that Mike Rowe "Dirty Jobs" episode on catching feral chickens in Miami. He did not catch all of them, several were left to breed.

I'll include a link to an article about them. While most of these are in warmer states, New York is not exempt. They can survive in colder areas. Several years ago a member told of a feral flock on the Michigan Upper Peninsula.

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-get-rid-of-feral-chickens/
That is very interesting and informative!

From everything that I have read the only current feral chicken colonies are in Hawaii and the rest have been essentially eradicated. Are there any other states with current active feral chicken colonies? I’m genuinely curious now about feral chickens in the US🤔
Feral chicken colonies are more common than I knew, and Key West, Florida is also well-known for its feral chickens. Here is another interesting article.
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountrys...ns-in-hawaii-california-and-the-florida-keys/

Fair Oaks, California definitely celebrates their feral chickens! I did notice that in the group photos, there are more roosters than hens in the pictures.🤔
I can speak to this (Kauai here, feral chicken capital of the US and probably the world) Hens hang back, are serious brooders, shy etc. Though 2 boy to 1-2 girl ratio is very normal. Lots of work keeping a girl. 🐓
*** I actually should have looked at the link. Lots of dropped roos. Poor guys. Does not look so much of a wild flock as a dropped off flock. Breaks my heart aittle. Glad they at least celebrate them.

Feral or game you could have lots of trouble. I bought three game hens of fine bloodlines. Not that mattered to me. They were all good layers not that I ever collected an egg. One was sitting outside the fence by the road way. Disappeared she and her eggs, likely a dog or possums. One laid elsewhere and disappeared.the third one laid behind a board by the well house, hatched every egg. When the chicks were about 6 weeks old she started laying again. She mated with one of our bantam roosters. In a little over a year or two maybe , she had hatched and raised 125 chicks which were laying out.
One day one flew across the road and a car hit it. He claimed she broke the grill. Called for LEO and he told to ignore the guy and not pay. I finally did pay $125 and told the guy in no uncertain terms not drive on the our road. He didn't. We gathered at night as many of the chickens as we could and sold them getting far more for them than the payment to the guy.

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else?
I did ! I had a mom, and her friend hen, that had been roosting in my trees all winter I felt terrible for her, but she would have nothing to do with me come spring she brought her 10 babies, so I put up a coop and started feeding her in there, and she and her babies ( except roos) are all still here almost 6 years later!

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else?
Yes, definitely adopt her. There are those who would just as soon turn her in to animal control, and chances are they will be put down, or at least put up for adoption.... in which case, you might as well adopt her/them...and no additional fee.
You would just have to treat the situation as one would who is merging other chickens into an existing flock- Quarantine for a wk or 2, then keep them penned beside or in run ( in a brooder or enclosure...) so the other chickens can see them but not hurt them, and get used to them. Then, try merging them together...
Wouldn't it be crazy if she ended up being your lead chicken? The things she could teach them all! :yesss:(haha!)

I have a chance to adopt a feral mother hen and her 8-10 three week babies. I've only kept chickens for a year and we would have to make them a coop of their own. I already have 9 chickens. What are some considerations you guys have?
Way to go!

Occums razor
Most likely they are someone’s birds free ranging. If they are in suburbs or country, how many neighbors have chickens?
I would assume they are free ranging rather than feral.
Just my .02

Back
Top Bottom