Should I adopt feral hen and her babies?

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
I have a chance to adopt a feral mother hen and her 8-10 three week babies. I've only kept chickens for a year and we would have to make them a coop of their own. I already have 9 chickens. What are some considerations you guys have?

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 7
What are some considerations you guys have?
1. Do they actually belong to someone else? Whose property are they on? For thousands of years people have been keeping flocks that take care of themselves, especially in the good weather months. I know it is hard for some people to believe but it has been going on for thousands of years. Taking something that doesn't belong to you is considered theft in the eyes of the law. Can you get them without trespassing?

2. Can you get them all or will you only get the hen and some of the chicks? That would mean leaving the other chicks out there to get by on their own.

3. I have some biosecurity issues but they are not at the top of my concerns. As @Brooks_ said, biosecurity is probably already shot.

4. What are you going to do with them? How do they fit your goals for having chickens? Why do you want them?

5. Probably half of those chicks are boys. What are your plans for the boys?

I have a chance to adopt a feral mother hen and her 8-10 three week babies. I've only kept chickens for a year and we would have to make them a coop of their own. I already have 9 chickens. What are some considerations you guys have?
What is it that you think you can offer this hen?
What is the climate where you live, or better still fill in your location in your profile.
The chances of her integrating with the other chickens you have is slight.
Leave food for her and water but apart from that I would let her be.

You probably did not see that Mike Rowe "Dirty Jobs" episode on catching feral chickens in Miami. He did not catch all of them, several were left to breed.

I'll include a link to an article about them. While most of these are in warmer states, New York is not exempt. They can survive in colder areas. Several years ago a member told of a feral flock on the Michigan Upper Peninsula.

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-get-rid-of-feral-chickens/

If you're going to take her in, you should definitely keep her and her babies quarantined for three weeks from your other chickens to make sure they don't have any illness or parasite that will spread to your flock (avian flu is running around). And Check them good for mites, fleas, worms, etc.

But, even doing that, they could have a latent pathogen that could affect your flock. But that goes for any new addition to your flock, whether feral, from a hatchery or another farm/backyard.

Serious biosecurity and health risks are my concern.

Own coop for 2-3 months far away from your original chickens, and a really good health inspection for all, and then biosecurity protocols to prevent infecting your original flock.e

If you find out they're not in good health, what is your plan?

Previous poster does have a point - they've done well on their own so far, and may prefer it.

Is she truly feral or was she dumped? Do you live where there are feral chickens? If she is on/near your property and doesn’t belong to anyone/not feral I would say go for it. At that point your flock is already exposed most likely to anything they would have. If she isn’t near your property then I personally wouldn’t. I know too many people who have compromised their entire flock bringing home random poultry. That’s just me though I only take in poultry from tested clean flocks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Anyone else?
I did ! I had a mom, and her friend hen, that had been roosting in my trees all winter I felt terrible for her, but she would have nothing to do with me come spring she brought her 10 babies, so I put up a coop and started feeding her in there, and she and her babies ( except roos) are all still here almost 6 years later!

Hello! Yes I think that would be awesome! I’ve always wanted to find or adopt a chicken that got lost or abandoned…LOL.
Maybe keep her in a cage for the first week or so so that your hens don’t attack her or her babies. Then you could let them out, still keeping an eye on them to make sure that they get along alright. I would just suggest that you be sure that she doesn’t belong to someone else before you adopt her! :)

Back
Top Bottom