Should I adopt feral hen and her babies?

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
I have a chance to adopt a feral mother hen and her 8-10 three week babies. I've only kept chickens for a year and we would have to make them a coop of their own. I already have 9 chickens. What are some considerations you guys have?

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 7
Hello! Yes I think that would be awesome! I’ve always wanted to find or adopt a chicken that got lost or abandoned…LOL.
Maybe keep her in a cage for the first week or so so that your hens don’t attack her or her babies. Then you could let them out, still keeping an eye on them to make sure that they get along alright. I would just suggest that you be sure that she doesn’t belong to someone else before you adopt her! :)

If you're going to take her in, you should definitely keep her and her babies quarantined for three weeks from your other chickens to make sure they don't have any illness or parasite that will spread to your flock (avian flu is running around). And Check them good for mites, fleas, worms, etc.

But, even doing that, they could have a latent pathogen that could affect your flock. But that goes for any new addition to your flock, whether feral, from a hatchery or another farm/backyard.

Serious biosecurity and health risks are my concern.

Own coop for 2-3 months far away from your original chickens, and a really good health inspection for all, and then biosecurity protocols to prevent infecting your original flock.e

If you find out they're not in good health, what is your plan?

Previous poster does have a point - they've done well on their own so far, and may prefer it.

I have a chance to adopt a feral mother hen and her 8-10 three week babies. I've only kept chickens for a year and we would have to make them a coop of their own. I already have 9 chickens. What are some considerations you guys have?
Proper quarantine followed by health inspection and integration. You don't say where you are so long term as feral is anyone's guess.

Just curious, have you seen a feral rooster or any other feral chickens hanging around?

Personally I would be tempted to adopt her and give her a safe place to raise her chicks. Depending on your predator load, just because predators haven't got them yet doesn't mean it won't happen. My only concern would be whether or not mama hen carries any diseases. Chickens carry many diseases for life and will infect other chickens even if the carrier birds seem healthy. Mareks Disease, Lymphoid Leukosis, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum and Synovae and Coryza are only a few diseases will infect birds for life if they are exposed.

Again, even knowing the risks, I would personally be very tempted to adopt the family. One, because I have a soft-spot for mama hens, and two, due to the high predator load in my area, homeless chickens would be lucky to survive their first night in the wild. Know your risks, and make the decision you think is best for you and your current flock.

Back
Top Bottom