Should I attempt assisted hatching?

Is the chick fluffy other than that area? Can you put coconut oil on the protruding part that's brushing against the chicks leg? Then try to carefully pick or cut with blunt scissors...I know it's hard when they're little like this. Ugh!

Is the chick fluffy other than that area? Can you put coconut oil on the protruding part that's brushing against the chicks leg? Then try to carefully pick or cut with blunt scissors...I know it's hard when they're little like this. Ugh!
I’m not sure I have coconut oil but I’ll look, and yeah it’s fluffy, and is also way smaller than normal

It might be easier if you soak the area in warm water first to soften and loosen the crust. It’s more difficult when it’s dry and hard, and you risk tearing the skin under/around it if you rub/pull/scratch at it dry.

It might be easier if you soak the area in warm water first to soften and loosen the crust. It’s more difficult when it’s dry and hard, and you risk tearing the skin under/around it if you rub/pull/scratch at it dry.
How do I soak the area without putting the chick in water? Or is that the way to do it?

Yours doesn't look like the wrong end, but if chicks do pip the wrong end, I would not help, for a good while. Most chicks in shell pip the air cell first. Then wait 24 hrs or so and make an outside pip, then may wait another 24hrs before zipping. A wrong end pip, is replacing the inside pip, but may take up to another 2 days to hatch.

Yours doesn't look like the wrong end, but if chicks do pip the wrong end, I would not help, for a good while. Most chicks in shell pip the air cell first. Then wait 24 hrs or so and make an outside pip, then may wait another 24hrs before zipping. A wrong end pip, is replacing the inside pip, but may take up to another 2 days to hatch.
I had to assist the one you’re referring too, he’s doing fine, the one having problems hatched on his own

How do I soak the area without putting the chick in water? Or is that the way to do it?
You can either fill a bowl with a little water and hold the chick in it, or hold the chick under running water so it’s just running over the crust. I’ve done this to loosen pasty butt crust under running water, massaging gently with a q-tip until it softens, then carefully wiping it off.

You can either fill a bowl with a little water and hold the chick in it, or hold the chick under running water so it’s just running over the crust. I’ve done this to loosen pasty butt crust under running water, massaging gently with a q-tip until it softens, then carefully wiping it off.
Out of curiosity would it be bad if I did nothing?. Like it’s walking, eating, drinking. It can still poop so the crust isn’t covering, aside from being way small and a bit bonier it seems to be living normally. Like personally I’m not sure I wanna just leave it with crusty bits but if I did would that be a bad thing?

Out of curiosity would it be bad if I did nothing?. Like it’s walking, eating, drinking. It can still poop so the crust isn’t covering, aside from being way small and a bit bonier it seems to be living normally. Like personally I’m not sure I wanna just leave it with crusty bits but if I did would that be a bad thing?
Depends on how it's dried on if it dries more out could pull and rip the skin.

Back
Top Bottom