Should I attempt assisted hatching?

ComradeQuedtions

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2024
Richlands NC
Should I be concerned with this egg, the progress shown in the photo is been unchanged since 11 last night so it will be essentially visually unchanged for 24 hours in 2 hours from now. At what point(if necessary and if not already) should I consider attempting assisted hatch?

Attachments

• IMG_3511.jpeg
    IMG_3511.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 69
Should I be concerned with this egg, the progress shown in the photo is been unchanged since 11 last night so it will be essentially visually unchanged for 24 hours in 2 hours from now. At what point(if necessary and if not already) should I consider attempting assisted hatch?
Give it alittle bit longer too be sure. Sometimes they're just slow, sometimes they really need help.

Is the white part supposed to look dry? Compared to another that just started piping the white area looks super dry
Mine always have looked that way, with humidity at 55% - 65%. If the membranes look yellow, or sticky that's cuz a humidity problem, like it being too much, then it drops a long period of time. It's not like shrink wrapping, which results in the membrane tightening around the chick though. Only had 1 case of this.

I've assisted many that had problems hatching for whatever reason, all lived to be happy, & healthy.

I have one that has had its beak sticking out of the egg for 24 hours straight and the eggs that popped before and after this one have already hatched. He’s clearly alive because I can see it opening its beak repeatedly but it’s not doing anything other than that. Is that cause for concern?

How's the chick doing? It's been a while since you first posted, and even back then it was a while since the chick pipped. If it's not out by now I'd be worried. The membrane does look very dry in that first picture. When they've been externally pipped for a while but take too long to make progress, the membrane can start drying out, and the inside of the egg can start drying out from the egg being open for so long, making it difficult for the chick to maneuver and hatch.

A chick needing assistance isn't necessarily a sign that there's something wrong with it. Those who claim "nature knows best" and that it's a natural process of weeding out of the weak, forget one key factor here - the whole process of hatching eggs in a human-made machine, is artificial and entirely dependent on the machine and the human. How you set the temperature, the humidity, how reliable the incubator is, how you handle the eggs, etc. - those are all external factors that have nothing to do with the health of the egg. A whole lot of health problems in chicks, as well as poor hatch outcomes, stem from improper incubation conditions, not from genetics. So, I'd understand the argument if we were talking about a broody hatching the eggs in a natural setting, but the moment humans step in and move the process into a machine, we can't blame poor outcomes on nature alone anymore.

What do you mean?
Is it chirping louder to quieter to louder? Or is it fading? I would wait 24 hours before assisting, but trust your gut as well. I assisted once unnecessarily which actually hurt my chick ( she got shrinkwrapped). If you are going to assist I would recommend that you read through the articles on this site and watch some videos as well before you do.

Back
Top Bottom