Should I be concerned!?!?

GSPx2

Songster
9 Years
Aug 4, 2013
New Jersey
One of the two hens I picked up two days ago seems to be aggressive and by aggressive I mean she doesn't fear anything and as soon as I walk by the pen she comes over and if I put my hand near the fence she will appear as if she is going to peck at me. Before i went to add food to their bowl and as I got in the run she came over to the door and I was afraid she was going to make a break for it so I guided her away from the door with my hand so I could get in. After I was in she started pecking at my boots. After that she stayed next to me and then walked in front of me as I was crouched and started looking me up and down trying to get closer. I had a button down shirt so I was thinking she was trying to get to the buttons?

And my other hen just keeps her distance until there's food involved. Lol She was all fluffed up with her tail high before, what does that mean? I thought to myself that she looks like a Tom turkey strutting for a lady friend.

Any input is appreciated.

I had a chick like that, she always run over to see what im doing, first to do everything. Pity she is a roo :( i liked that chick

I don't think that what you are describing is agression. It's just a curious little hen. I have one like that, and while building their coop she would stay close to me to inspect my work, claim my drill by sitting on it and using my sawhorses as a perch. She also pecks at my cloths, my boots, anything she can reach.

Chicken temperaments differ greatly by individual bird, no two birds are alike. Puffed out feathers on a hen usually is a defensive reaction. she was probably afraid of you and had nowhere to run so she tried to make herself look bigger than she is.

Yes I agree "aggressive" may have been the wrong word. By no means is she acting in a mean aggressive manner. You're right, it's more of a curious behavior. I just want to make sure she'll ok around my son.

And I thought that was an intimidation attempt with the fluffy feathers but I wasn't sure because she went right to eating after I put the food down but she remained puffed up and tail high. The only thing I can think of is my dog was there so maybe the fluffiness had to do with her.

So her feathers are always fluffed up? Does she walk around or does she just stay in one spot?

I think your hen is completely fine. All of a sudden my chickens are all about the toes. They all cornered me in the run yesterday trying to get my little piggies but they weren't being mean about it in anyway, just curious.

When my barred rock starts following me around and looking me up and down I've learned that it means "I'm gettin on your shoulder whether you like it or not"
gig.gif

Last edited:
When my barred rock starts following me around and looking me up and down I've learned that it means "I'm gettin on your shoulder whether you like it or not"
gig.gif

LOL that sounds familiar. When Groucho does that to me, it means she's going to jump up and pull my ponytail. For some reason, she just loves to do that when I'm sitting down visiting with the girls.

If your hen turns aggressive to you, just grab her and hold her down on the ground with your hands for several seconds, then release her. That shows her that you are the top hen. That usually cures it, from my experience.

Hens are quite curious, yes. But don't let her peck you EVER without grabbing her as indicated above. Pecking your boots doesn't count. I have had hens actually give me bruises.

Last edited:
I just went to check on them and I guess she's not really fluffy. Compaired to the other one she looks puffy. But she is just a bigger bird all together.

If your hen turns aggressive to you, just grab her and hold her down on the ground with your hands for several seconds, then release her. That shows her that you are the top hen. That usually cures it, from my experience.
That's exactly what I do and I highly recommend it.

When the others see me holding someone down they all come to investigate and I swear it's like their saying "Haha she got in trouble!"

Back
Top Bottom