Should I be expecting eggs? ***I GOT ONE!!***

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jdywntr, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    This is my first year with geese. Earlier today, I found my female African sitting in a corner outside in what was supposed to be a dust bath for the chickens. She had made a little bit of what looked like a nest. This was not in a safe area so after she got up, I put something over the spot. Later, I found her outside of the coop door (it was closed to give my broody muscovy a chance to eat) where she had hollowed out a spot and made what looked like much more of a nest. She didn't get up when I approached so I picked her up, put her in the coop and made her a proper nest in the hay in the corner of the geese area. I had left the hay there as either a spot they could nestle down in or an area for a nest.

I went ahead and stuck a golf ball in there for good measure.

She is about 5.5-6 months old. She has been mating with one of the males for a month or so now. Does this behavior mean I should be expecting eggs?

Thanks.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Normally geese lay eggs during Spring to Summer - depending upon your climate, if it is warm then it is possible - she seems very young to be laying eggs BUT anything is possible!

In fact one of mine laid an egg last week and it is definately Winter here.... everything is frozen including the river and it is snowing right now..... I HATE Winter!

Suzie

3. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    My geese are somewhere around 6 months old and are laying an egg every few days. I'm not sure if they are planning on continuing through the winter or not.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She may just be practicing you know for the big day. My Toulouse is almost 8 months now and no egg yet, but thats okay I am patient.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Okay. Thanks everyone.

I was just so surprised that she didn't even get up the second time. She does come up to me but if I try to touch her, she yells at me and scoots away.

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, I guess she was ready. I found an egg this morning. She must have lain it yesterday because it was outside and cold and they had only been out for about 15 minutes.
    Here it is with a buff orpington chicken egg and a quarter for good measure.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully she will lay her next one in the nest. [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is so cool!! congrats. I keep looking too but I'm sure I'll get a surprise one of these days.

8. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

9. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    My Buffs stay in the chicken house at night. They free-range during the day. We've had a very mild fall so far. It's in the 40's right now. I have lights on the chooks, so the ducks have been laying, and now I see a goose egg in a nest I had made for the ducks. I've seen both the old gander and the young one romancing the goose.

What are the chances the egg might be fertile? Should I fire up the incubator?

10. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    usually the first few are not. My opion... enjoy a few for eatting and look at them when cracked open to see if they are fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by