Should I be taking this chick away?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheHalfWayCoop, Nov 30, 2011.

1. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    We had one little silkie baby hatch tonight, but it looks like it hatched early as it's eyes aren't even open (then again, I have zero knowledge as to what a chick should look like), it was under the one broody (there are two in this nest) and still had the bottom half of it's egg attached by the umbilical cord, the other broody pecked it off and the mother broody is stomping all over it and rolling eggs on it while it's still curled up in a ball. Is this normal? Should I leave them alone or start setting up a brooder?

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you have a brooder and want to go that route, you may need to. However, in my experience, chicks that have a hard time getting out of the egg usually are weak ones anyway and may not be worth the trouble. I am sure others may have a different opinion, but that is my take on what you described.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes, if you have a brooder set up, it would be best. If after she has hatched the others you can put the early chicks back.

You do mention another broody. It's best to separate your broody hens to a private place where they can hatch undisturbed.

I wish you well,

Rancher

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    it's sometimes normal for the egg to get partially stuck to the chick temporarily, but it's not normal for its eyes to not be opening while it's awake. is it maybe covered in albumen (sticky stuff from inside the egg, indicative of problems during incubation usually) keeping the eyes stuck closed, or does it not have eyes? the mother hen though might be thinking that something is wrong with it, and she may be rejecting it. has this hen hatched chicks before? is she normally a good mother, or is this her first time?

it's always kind of hard to gauge what the situation really calls for, but if it's struggling and mom isn't caring for it very well, you should probably take it away. good luck with the little guy, whatever you decide.

5. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I would take it away and put in a brooder. Also, you might try to give it some finely chopped chick starter and some poultry vitamin/booster in the water. It might grow up well or it could die. At least you will give it a better chance at living.

6. TheHalfWayCoop

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I totally should have seperated them, but being that they're backyard chickens and also have a third broody I was running out of places to keep them, and these two kept sharing eggs and I knew one hen had older eggs than the other, I don't know, big mistake on my part obviously.

It does have eyes, and they aren't stuck shut, it just doesn't seem to want to open them. It's feet are uncurling and it's fluffing up and peeping, but not a lot of movement going on. All of it's yolk and good stuff inside was gone when the bottom half of the shell came off, and no blood or anything (minus a small amount when Hen 2 yanked the still attached shell off, but that seems to be okay now). It's mother is fine once it gets under her, but I'm afraid with him being so small and frail he's going to get crushed by the other eggs and her big feet, so I think we'll set up the brooder. This is her (and the other hen's, and the other other hen's) first clutch, so this is all new to both of us. I don't want to over interfer, and it's probably not worth it, but I'd like to give this little one a start if nothing else. I'll stop by the feed store in the morning to check out some vitamin water.

It's opening it's mouth like a baby bird, I know it should have enough food, etc... for three more days, but should I be dipping it's beak in water?

7. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    This is what I would do: set up a brooder ASAP and get it nice and warm. Put the baby chick in it. Once it can stand and walk, dip it's beak in the wter just once (not far enough to get water up it's nose holes). If it can't walk yet, nd you'r eusing a heat lamp, make sure it's in the warm area. Also, try taking a q-tip with warm water and gently wipe it's eyes incase the lids are ehavy from gunk. You can always give it back to mama hen once it's stronger nd more chicks are hatched. Oh...how many hours has it been hatched?

[​IMG]

8. TheHalfWayCoop

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    It's only in it's second hour, and seems to be looking a little better. I'll definitely have a go at it's eyes with a Q-tip and some warm water. I'm heating up the brooder situation, but he seems okay under mama, so we'll see, but I've got the brooder going in the background, just incase!

[​IMG]

9. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    wait, its not even dry yet? Give it some time, they're usually exhausted after kicking their way out, once they dry off its should be good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by