1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I be upset ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by unionwirewoman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    About 2 months ago I gave away one of my roosters to a friend of my fiance's because he was beating the crap out of my turken rooster . It turned out that about a month ago while I was on vacation the caretaker found my roo dead . I am now roo-less and was hoping to borrow the other roo I gave away to fertilize some eggs this spring . I just found out the guy gave him away without asking me if I wanted him back . Should I be upset or am I totally blowing this out of proportion ? [​IMG]

2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I can see why you're frustrated at the situation now. How rude of that rooster to up and die on you! [​IMG]
    However, you didn't want the first rooster because it was mean. You gave it away, probably with the explanation that it was causing havoc with the chickens. So the friend gave the rooster away, not realizing that your situation would change.

It's just one of those things.... let it go.

3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

When you gave the rooster to him did you specifically say to him when he no longer interested in having the rooster he should check back with you?

Anyway, you need a roo bad.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep, I vote let it go...

Unless you gave it with the stipulation that you be contacted before he got rid of the roo, then it was just a gift.

And what a person does with a gift is totally up to them. That's just what I've been taught...saves a lot of frustration.

5. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    WEEEELL , if you gave it, you gave it ! But it would have been nice if they would have checked before they "gave it"! Sorry that may not be what you want to hear right now!

Randy

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Ahhhh.....dont worry about it......Roosters are a dime-a-dozen ....you can find another one.

7. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If the roo was mean you don't want to use that one for breeding anyway, you will just carry on that trait.

I agree with letting it go as your reason for getting rid of him in the first place would have stopped me from calling you and asking if you wanted him back if I had him.

Go find a good example of the breed, and I don't recall any breed standard saying 'mean' under temprament . Only good examples should be used for breeding.

8. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    No I didn't specify for him to tell me if he didn't want it anymore that I would take it back . I knew my emotions were ruling over me !! So I know it's not the friends fault , it's just frusterating to have to pick between two chickens you love , even if they're roo's . But I had to do something otherwise it would have ended up with one of them dying . Which to my surprise ended up happening anyway . My one roo was almost irreplacable . It seems as if no one sells banty turkens ! thanks for putting me in my place ![​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you gave him away, you had a good reason to, and if he was mean, you don't want to make babies from him anyways. Think of it as a good thing.

10. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    if u lived near me i give u a turken rooster [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by