Should I be worried about this poop?

alinas2010

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
I noticed this poop this morning, but there was also a very diarrheal poop under where the suspect roosted last night. I saw her have a watery poop before going to the roost, too.

They eat layer/grower mixed pellets, some scratch and dried BSFL and whatever they find free ranging in the yard, which is mostly grass and worms.

To note is this chicken has been having some egg issues lately. Her shells are very, very thin and blotchy. I had been giving 600mg of calcium plus D3 to her for a couple weeks now and had seen no improvement in her eggs, so I’ve quit giving it.

She doesn’t act sick. Eats and roams around like normal. I’ve noticed diarrhea on and off for a week or so but have contributed it to the hot weather and her probably drinking a lot of water due to that.

Given the weird poop and egg issues I think something is going on internally. I’d like to treat her if I can. Does anyone have thoughts on what I should use to treat her?

Attachments

• IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 476
  • IMG_7379.jpeg
    IMG_7379.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 43
forgot to add that she is probably somewhere between 2-3 years old and is some variation of a production breed. We adopted her from a neighbor in March.

I wouldn't do corid, that doesn't sound like the issue. Most folks on here will suggest cutting out everything except layer feed and oyster shells if there are egg issues first.

What type of calcium was in the supplement? Calcium citrate is more effective apparently.

That poop doesn't scream illness to me, and I usually need my hens to show me pathogenic looking stuff a couple times before I worry, just because they do so many weird things that just go away in a week. It does sound like something may be going on with her, though. If calcium supplementation didn't help at all, it could be that there is an issue with her shell gland, but I am not sure there is any treatment for that.

Most folks on here will suggest cutting out everything except layer feed and oyster shells if there are egg issues first.
Yep - 100%
I usually need my hens to show me pathogenic looking stuff a couple times before I worry
200%

Moreover, behavior in chickens is everything. 99% of the time they are going to show you they are sick or bothered. Very rarely does a chicken with a treatable issue keel over unexpectedly with out you having time to treat something.

I wouldn't do corid, that doesn't sound like the issue. Most folks on here will suggest cutting out everything except layer feed and oyster shells if there are egg issues first.

What type of calcium was in the supplement? Calcium citrate is more effective apparently.

That poop doesn't scream illness to me, and I usually need my hens to show me pathogenic looking stuff a couple times before I worry, just because they do so many weird things that just go away in a week. It does sound like something may be going on with her, though. If calcium supplementation didn't help at all, it could be that there is an issue with her shell gland, but I am not sure there is any treatment for that.
Yes, it is calcium citrate plus D3. Unfortunately, there is probably an underlying reproductive issue. But I’ve heard of sickness and disease causing egg issues, so I was hoping maybe that could be it.

They do have oyster shell available at all times. I’ve considered just switching to layer feed, but have heard many conflicting things about doing that, so I just opted to mix layer and grower. With her shell issues, I will certainly try just layer feed and cut out treats and see what happens.
Moreover, behavior in chickens is everything. 99% of the time they are going to show you they are sick or bothered. Very rarely does a chicken with a treatable issue keel over unexpectedly with out you having time to treat something.
It makes me feel better you say this about their behavior, as I have read the opposite on here, where people say you won’t see symptoms of an illness until it is too late to treat. It makes me nervous when I see anything amiss such as this poop.

I did initially dismiss the diarrhea as nothing as you said, it’s on and off. Just seeing this poop and the few last nights made me nervous because it was so mucousy. I’ll take your word and not treat for now.

Thanks to the both of you.

Chickens are notorious for never showing symptoms of illness unless it's bad.
They're prey animals, showing weakness means death. It's rarely the opposite.
What do you mean by blotchy?
If it's a pigment issue, that's relatively normal.
Diarrhea is like from the bsl.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
That was my thought, too in sickness. I’ve never heard it the other way around. Cutting out snacks immediately.

Blotchy like this:

I know it can be normal…just not sure it is with the quality of her eggs. They were completely normal colored, thickness and textured at one point when we first adopted her. Then all of a sudden she started laying 2 a day with one being relatively normal and one thin shelled. Progressively over like 2 weeks they both became thin shelled and wonky.

Attachments

• IMG_7195.jpeg
    IMG_7195.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7247.jpeg
    IMG_7247.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 24
That was my thought, too in sickness. I’ve never heard it the other way around. Cutting out snacks immediately.

Blotchy like this:

I know it can be normal…just not sure it is with the quality of her eggs. They were completely normal colored, thickness and textured at one point when we first adopted her. Then all of a sudden she started laying 2 a day with one being relatively normal and one thin shelled. Progressively over like 2 weeks they both became thin shelled and wonky.
Here is a link to a post with her egg issues if anyone is curious or has advice.

They do have oyster shell available at all times. I’ve considered just switching to layer feed, but have heard many conflicting things about doing that, so I just opted to mix layer and grower. With her shell issues, I will certainly try just layer feed and cut out treats and see what happens.
Layer isn't ideal for roosters or pullets that aren't laying, but if you only have mature hens that should be fine.

I also had to switch to flaked oyster shell to get my little princesses to actually eat it. 😄
It makes me feel better you say this about their behavior, as I have read the opposite on here, where people say you won’t see symptoms of an illness until it is too late to treat. It makes me nervous when I see anything amiss such as this poop.
That definitely does happen, but only one hen that I had died without me getting a chance to treat her. It really depends on what the bird has going on.
I did initially dismiss the diarrhea as nothing as you said, it’s on and off. Just seeing this poop and the few last nights made me nervous because it was so mucousy. I’ll take your word and not treat for now.

Thanks to the both of you.
Yeah, we can call in some other knowledgeable folks if you have been seeing it frequently, and/or continue to see it.

Back
Top Bottom